Main Menu

Gran Coupe Rocker Molding question

Started by Matt13, June 03, 2024, 05:15:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

Should Gran Coupe rocker moldings be chrome? Also, are there mounting clips specific to the Gran Coupe?
TIA

anlauto

They are argent grey with the tops of the fins bare aluminum ...clips might be the same as the side Challenger, but I'm not sure
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Matt13 on June 03, 2024, 05:15:03 PMShould Gran Coupe rocker moldings be chrome? Also, are there mounting clips specific to the Gran Coupe?
TIA

Letting us know if you are working on a 70 or 71 also helps. Both are heavy aluminum and not just stamped thin aluminum. 1970 is a little wider than a 71. Gonna go out on a limb and say the 71's were polished on some of the edges then anodized. At least that is how mine are. I do have one from a 70, however it looks like it has been harshly cleaned. The attaching clips are correct and getting harder to locate.

Matt13

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on June 03, 2024, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: Matt13 on June 03, 2024, 05:15:03 PMShould Gran Coupe rocker moldings be chrome? Also, are there mounting clips specific to the Gran Coupe?
TIA

Letting us know if you are working on a 70 or 71 also helps. Both are heavy aluminum and not just stamped thin aluminum. 1970 is a little wider than a 71. Gonna go out on a limb and say the 71's were polished on some of the edges then anodized. At least that is how mine are. I do have one from a 70, however it looks like it has been harshly cleaned. The attaching clips are correct and getting harder to locate.
These are 1970 Rocker moldings I have. They were painted all black at some point in their life.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Matt13 on June 04, 2024, 08:33:57 AM
Quote from: 71GranCoupe on June 03, 2024, 07:45:51 PM
TIA

These are 1970 Rocker moldings I have. They were painted all black at some point in their life.
Back in the day, some chose to re-attach them to the rockers by drilling holes in them and using a screw. Probably ok for a driver, but for a pristine car, use the oem clips. They are getting harder to find, but definitely easier with the internet. Probably why so many moldings got screws the clips broke and it was easy to just use a screw. Lots of variables.

Mr Cuda

They got to the same conclusion over there.
 2 end screws, expanding metal clips.