Main Menu

Grill filler, grill surround paint / polish line break 70 challenger

Started by Shawn, August 23, 2018, 10:04:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shawn

Hello, does anyone have any good reference pics, up close, of where the organosol black stops and the polished sections start on the 70 challenger grill surround, grill filler panel and the head light bezels. I have a pretty good idea from photos I've taken at shows and from reference materials, just not any up close focusing on those areas.

1 Wild R/T

While I like organosol it's not what was sprayed on the grill surround of 70 Challenger R/T's & T/A's.....  I've had an NOS grill & pair of headlight bezels still in their boxes that clearly aren't organosol... It's probably a 60% gloss satin black.....

The break is at the second line...

The headlight bezels should have a sliver of bare metal around each lamp.... First picture is correct... Second is wrong....

Burdar

:iagree:

It's just black paint not organisol.  Like Randy said, the inner most surround is left natural/polished.  Where the black paint starts isn't a crisp tape line.  Some sort of cover was placed over the grill to shield the inner area when the paint was applied.(would have taken forever to tape off 30k grills to paint)  This left a soft paint edge.  I've got a good picture of it from Dave Walden's Challenger thread at home.  I saved all of his pictures before they were removed from the web.

Shawn

Quote from: Burdar on August 24, 2018, 06:16:25 AM
:iagree:

It's just black paint not organisol.  Like Randy said, the inner most surround is left natural/polished.  Where the black paint starts isn't a crisp tape line.  Some sort of cover was placed over the grill to shield the inner area when the paint was applied.(would have taken forever to tape off 30k grills to paint)  This left a soft paint edge.  I've got a good picture of it from Dave Walden's Challenger thread at home.  I saved all of his pictures before they were removed from the web.

In my photo the two inner most rings for polished (5 rings total), is that incorrect?

Cuda Cody

2 polished ribs is correct for black RT grilles, non RT is 1 polished rib with argent silver.