Main Menu

Door Skin

Started by nicka, February 24, 2021, 07:59:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Did the factory/ vendor add undercoating on the door skins?  The pic is from a '71 Barracuda Passenger side door skin.

anlauto

Sound deadener, same as inside the quarter panels, applied at the factory :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@anlauto (and perhaps @Cuda Cody and others) I've always been frustrated as to how to clean up the inside of the skins with the crash bar in the way and very little clearance behind it (on the rare occasion that the original skins are solid, like mine). Mine had been soaked in cavity wax in the past (a testimony that the stuff works) and it's just dried out from getting coated with dust over the years. I'm not to the doors yet with my restoration, but soon will be. I'm guessing my pressure washer and a long scraper and just doing as good as I can? Planning to use my bore scope as well for a final inspection. @nicka take full advantage of having those skins off! @RestoRick sells the really good, factory textured undercoating/sound deadener if you're interested in going back stock.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

RacerX

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on February 24, 2021, 09:12:01 AM
@anlauto (and perhaps @Cuda Cody and others) I've always been frustrated as to how to clean up the inside of the skins with the crash bar in the way and very little clearance behind it (on the rare occasion that the original skins are solid, like mine). Mine had been soaked in cavity wax in the past (a testimony that the stuff works) and it's just dried out from getting coated with dust over the years. I'm not to the doors yet with my restoration, but soon will be. I'm guessing my pressure washer and a long scraper and just doing as good as I can? Planning to use my bore scope as well for a final inspection. @nicka take full advantage of having those skins off! @RestoRick sells the really good, factory textured undercoating/sound deadener if you're interested in going back stock.

Planning to put some form of sound deadener/insulation on my door skins when I re-install them but
what the factory did was pretty weak and inconsistent.  Hoping to improve significantly on that! 

I see some people using that Lizard Skin stuff for this...  anyone have any experience with that one?
The examples I have seen it looks pretty decent...

https://lizardskin.com/

nicka

Cool.  I've got some of Resto Ricks sound deadener and a new door skin.  I really didn't see it until I removed the old door skin. 

7E-Bodies

Last skin I replaced, I scuffed the interior, put a 1" strip of masking tape around the perimeter (to keep the material off of the area that lays flat on the door frame), and sprayed the rest. Worked well.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

RacerX

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on February 24, 2021, 05:18:21 PM
Last skin I replaced, I scuffed the interior, put a 1" strip of masking tape around the perimeter (to keep the material off of the area that lays flat on the door frame), and sprayed the rest. Worked well.

That will be my plan of attack also.    Just need to decide on what product to use and fix the unwanted weight reduction in the corner of the door