Main Menu

Headlight bucket keying

Started by GoMangoBoys, August 09, 2021, 11:23:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I cleaned and painted all 4 of our headlight buckets and put them back on the car.  It seems like they are not all the same.  Are the buckets and corresponding headlight bulbs keyed differently between the 2 prong bulbs and the 3 prong bulbs? By keying, I am referring to the notches in the buckets compared to the bumps on the back edge of the bulbs.
Thanks

RJChallenger

The buckets are mark hi or hi-lo and are marked I believe for which side ie driver or passenger. I can post some pictures when i get home

anlauto

There are four different buckets RT/HI, RT/HILO, LT/HI and LT/HILO each one is marked along the outer lip. :alan2cents:  YES THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Here is a sketch I did of my 1970 Challenger prior to disassembly. Added a couple of original photos too.

Rich G.

It could be tricky. I take a headlight and find a bucket that it sits in correctly and then match it to the correct location in the car. It's a giant puzzle.

GoMangoBoys

It looks like the buckets ARE clearly marked Hi and Hi-Lo.  However, mine are ALL marked LT.  It looks like I have 2 of each for the left side only.  Looks like I need a pair for the right side.  Anybody got a pair ro sell me?  I found a used pair for $38 each plus shipping.  Don't know if that is good or bad.

Burdar

They were originally color coded so the line workers could easily see which ones went where.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

@GoMangoBoys That seems a little high priced to me.  I bet you'll be able to find a set for less at the Nats.  I have an extra RH Hi that you can have and I'll bring it along to the Nats (Vendor Spot D8).