Main Menu

Hood Hinges rebuilt

Started by B5fourspeed, April 25, 2019, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

Besides SMS is their someone else who rebuilds hood hinges.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

Quote from: anlauto on April 25, 2019, 09:37:51 AM
RESTORICK ! :twothumbsup: http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=2

Would you choose a restore over the AMD hinges that are available? I haven't seen the AMD hinges and my originals aren't too terrible, so I am on the fence about which path forward to take on them.

anlauto

I've done both. 1970 hinges are unique to 70 so I would always select rebuilding originals.

For anything else I might consider AMD. Although last set of AMD hinges I had to trim 1/4 off along the top to get them to fit an AMD hood ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I had my metal work done at the AMD Installation Center and even Craig Hopkins recommended rebuilding the original hinges VS. buying new ones. SMS or Resto Rick should be able to help and have good reps

fireguyfire

Is there a test to know whether your original hinges are at the point of needing a rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUNCHARGER

Check the play in the large rivets.
Sheldon

nsmall

Is a quarter inch of play after hinges were rebuilt sound fair?  @RUNCHARGER

B5fourspeed

I just got them back from Rick's and there is zero play.

anlauto

Quote from: B5fourspeed on June 10, 2019, 08:46:24 AM
I just got them back from Rick's and there is zero play.

He does nice work eh :bigthumb:

nsmall

@B5fourspeed   I had Rick restore my hinges too.  Unfortunately the communication with my body guy broke down somewhere  and they were sandblasted after Rick rebuilt them,  his instructions clearly state Don't do that.

they still work fine it's just that after driving around for a little bit they do settle down about 1/4 inch.