Main Menu

Hood insulation and Hood Paint question

Started by Norcal440cuda, August 30, 2023, 01:44:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Norcal440cuda

I didn't know where to post this question so hopefully this is the right spot.
I bought REM hood insulation and installed it with new push pins and some of them just keep popping out. I was told by another Cuda owner that he doesn't even run the hood insulation. My question is, without the hood insulation, would that not cause the hood to eventually get discolored. I have a clear bra which should help but it definitely gets warm under the hood with the 440.

headejm

The hood insulation on my car was an option. It was part of J55 - Undercoat with hood pad. Many E-bodies didn't come with a hood pad including (I believe) none of the shaker equipped cars. I'm not commenting on any potential hood paint discoloration without the pad.

Speaking of the REM pad - the factory type clips do not work well (as you are finding out). The pad is too thick and too stiff. I ended up using some longer, modern black plastic clips on mine. Not crazy about it but nobody is making a factory correct under hood pad.

@6bblgt Do you have any data on E-bodies that we're built with or without J55?

Dakota

For what it's worth, I'm following advice I heard on an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage" about opening the hood after a drive to reduce the hood paint's exposure to high temperatures from engine heat.   I've been doing this since I got my car back on the road a couple of years ago, so it's just part of the routine like taking the cover off.   

I have one of the hood insulation pads from Detroit Muscle Technology which hopefully helps a bit on protecting the hood paint.   I've had good success so far with using metal clips to hold the pad in place.   It's certainly not "factory original" but neither is my car.

anlauto

There were a lot of car made without a hood pad....never heard of decolorization, but I guess it's possible  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration