Main Menu

hood scoop insert screws

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 20, 2022, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Can anyone tell me what size screws I need to attach the little aluminum inserts into the Challenger hood scoops?  Are these a machine screw or a sheet metal screw?
Thanks

Rdchallenger

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on September 20, 2022, 07:19:14 PM
Can anyone tell me what size screws I need to attach the little aluminum inserts into the Challenger hood scoops?  Are these a machine screw or a sheet metal screw?
Thanks

Lmfao! I'm going to close my thread and just watch this one. Hilarious that we're having the same question so closely.

Dmod1974

#8 sheet metal screws are what I used I believe. They're definitely not machine screws.

anlauto

:iagree: that's all I've ever used  :dunno:  I do think the originals may have been machine screws like the Cuda ones :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

@Rdchallenger It's a hot topic, LOL. I am interested also, but first I need to get some inserts as mine are missing!

Dmod1974

I suppose it's possible mine were removed at some point before me taking ownership, but there were no signs of threads being tapped on mine.  Now, the screw holes that bolt the scoop to the hood underside are definitely machine screws - #8 or #10 I think.  They also have a larger pan head than normal.

ply64post

Here is a page from the E/Body Restoration Reference Manual.

Jeff

318Stroker

Quote from: ply64post on September 21, 2022, 08:40:03 PM
Here is a page from the E/Body Restoration Reference Manual.

Jeff

What you have posted shows a quantity of 8. That would be for attaching the pot-metal scoops to the hood. OP is looking for the screws that attach the thin aluminum block-off plate to the pot-metal scoops.; Would be 2 per side, for a  quantity of 4 total.

TWS

Early 70 Challenger scoop plate screws.  Similar to Cuda, only shorter.  We had to buy a pair of scoops, just for these screws.   :looney: