Main Menu

Hood/hinge question

Started by blown motor, October 07, 2021, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Where the hinges bolt to the hood there's a threaded insert that is incorporated into the hood structure that the bolts go into. On the hood for my Charger, currently not on the car, someone has stripped out the threads. Is there a replacement insert for that or how do I resolve this?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

erik70rt

I would heli-coil it.  You can find them at most parts stores.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

anlauto

I agree, I think that would be your only shot :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I can get a hood off a 72 Satellite for $45. Could we cut out the "nuts" portion and weld that piece into the Charger hood? Would it be the same?

moparroy

Helicoil would be easier and would give same as original alignment for sure. My vote for helicoil as well

anlauto

Why would you want to cut and weld in one of the most important structural parts of the hood ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Murray, is this your good hood, or a spare that'd need to be painted anyways? :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

@jimynick yes it's my "good" hood. I'm going to put it on the car.  We unwrapped it and it wasn't quite what we were hoping for. It needs a full repaint plus it has bolt hole issues.

blown motor

What size and thread are the hinge bolts?

tparker

Ack, that sucks. I think my hood had a nut welded on the inside that the bolt went through. The nut broke off. It was a pain, but I took a strong earth magnet and taped it to a piece of coat hanger. I put a nut on the end and carefully feed it through the channel that the hood vents is. It took a while and a bit of fiddling around, but I was able to get the bolt threaded through.

I have to put in my engine and my first thought was to take the hood off, but then I remember how much of a pain that was and probably won't do that. I could unbolt the hinge from the body though.

blown motor

This is what's inside the hood structural tube that the hinge bolts to. It's held inside the tube by two spot welds. You can see how someone butchered it. Our plan is to make a new one out of bar stock the thickness on the current bar and nut and fish it up the tube and spot weld it in place.

750-h2

Now that I see your picture, you could just weld up that hole, re drill and tap.

blown motor

That option was discussed but the other hles have thread damage which would require helicoils to fix them.

RJChallenger

As an millwright (industrial mechanic) I would stay away from heli-coils as they work best on blind holes and this repair is on a thru hole. Along the lines of heli-coils the next strongest would be a thread insert. Threaded on the inside and outside, but there doesnt appear to be enough metal surrounding the hole without creating a weak spot in the bar. In my opinion , as the bar is easily removed. The easiest and simpliest way would be to weld up and drill and tap a new hole.

BIGSHCLUNK

Murray, I have no suggestions other than those given.... But man does that suck !  :headbang: