Main Menu

Door/Window issues..

Started by FSHTAIL, June 10, 2018, 01:26:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

So my passengers side window doesn't roll up properly and the glass kicks up towards the front of the car when fully rolled up.. 

Not sure how to fix this..   

I usually only drive it when its nice enough for windows weather, so when both windows are down and I hit a bump in the road, it sounds horrible as if the doors aren't latched shut all the way but they are flush and latched, so I'm not sure if the doors are just bouncing around or if the windows and track are bouncing around within the doors.. 

Has anyone had these issues?   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Cuda Cody

Adjustment and rattles could be 2 different things.  The adjustment for the windows id done with the bolts at the bottom of the door.  The rattle could be the rods inside the door....

https://forum.e-bodies.org/general-topics/7/new-prize-shop-part-for-your-project-anti-door-rattle-sleeves/7172/

Did you use anti rattle sleeves?

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 10, 2018, 01:34:01 AM
Adjustment and rattles could be 2 different things.  The adjustment for the windows id done with the bolts at the bottom of the door.  The rattle could be the rods inside the door....

https://forum.e-bodies.org/general-topics/7/new-prize-shop-part-for-your-project-anti-door-rattle-sleeves/7172/

Did you use anti rattle sleeves?

Thanks for the link on those rattle sleeves..   
I don't remember seeing any when replacing the door handles.. 
I didn't realize I had so much built up E-Bodies.org cred...     :drinkingbud:

I'm going to pull the door panels off and dive in...
Any advise for the glass adjustment or is it pretty cut and dry?

Jay Bee

Check the screw I pointed to in the picture.

When mine fell out completely the front of the window wouldn't follow the back of the window when rolling it up and it jammed 1/2 way with the front tilted down. Maybe yours is just loose causing the screw to be tilted and not allowing the front of your window to go completely up.

Just re-read your post. Looks like I'm mistaken, the picture looked like a gap in the front but you wrote "kicks up".

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Jay Bee on June 10, 2018, 03:23:36 AM
Check the screw I pointed to in the picture.

When mine fell out completely the front of the window wouldn't follow the back of the window when rolling it up and it jammed 1/2 way with the front tilted down. Maybe yours is just loose causing the screw to be tilted and not allowing the front of your window to go completely up.

Just re-read your post. Looks like I'm mistaken, the picture looked like a gap in the front but you wrote "kicks up".

Maybe my wording is a bit off. 
It appears the front section of the glass kicks up much higher than it should. 
That screw you pointed out, would that be what's holding the glass up? Maybe the glass has popped out of that and sits above that?
I'll know more once I crack it open and really dig around.   

Chryco Psycho

The bolts at the bottom of the door can be adjusted to tip the the glas in or outward , the plate that supprts the rear pivot at the lower right in the picture above will change the angle of the glass so the glass sits high at either end or vevl across the top

Jay Bee

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on June 10, 2018, 03:46:49 AM
That screw you pointed out, would that be what's holding the glass up?   

That screw secures the front of the glass to the regulator. When that falls out the front of the glass typically drops down.

RJChallenger

You could be looking at two separate issues, the door clunking could be worn hinges or improperly adjusted guilds/felts. The window issue is different. when you are rolling the window up. does it go up level. Stop winding as it goes out of level, shut the door. Does the window still need to go up, if so how much does it need to go up? If not  there are window stops that might need adjusting. Tracks could be dry of grease and binding up. But is fairly basic to fix just remove the door panel and actually watch the mechanism and tracks as you wind the window up and down. check for dirty tracks clean and oil if need be. Good Luck

FSHTAIL

I figured out where the horrible sound coming from my drivers door was coming from.
  With the door closed, I can lift up on the bottom edge of the door and it moves up and down a bit.

Racer57

I spent an entire afternoon and early evening getting my windows lined up a couple years ago. The obvious adjustments wouldn't work. Instead of window going straight up, it would go at an angle.  I finally had to loosen all adjusters and move each of them a little at a time.