Main Menu

Inner fender shock tower brace

Started by PLUM72, August 31, 2023, 07:34:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PLUM72

How is the triangle shaped inner fender shock tower brace supposed to be attached?  Is it spot welded to the upper inner fender brace only or is it also welded to the shock tower?
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

PLUM72

Answered my own question...Found a picture online from a HotRod/MotorTrend article replacing an inner fender.  The bracket is spot welded to the shock tower.  Now the funny part is the car I am working on, this bracket is not spot welded to the shock tower.  Its hanging loose from the upper reinforcement bracket!  I don't have any reason to think this has been modified over the last 50 years.  I think the factory either didn't weld it, or the spot welds were bad and the part broke loose.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

rftroy

You should be able to easily see the dimples from the original welding, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it wasn't welded.

When I got my 70 challenger body stripped down and up on the rotisserie, I found that the right side of the car seemed to be welded properly; but on the left side the connection between the inner fender well and the radiator support was only welded halfway up, and there were no spot welds whatsoever connecting the firewall to the floor pan from the center hump all the way to the driver side end.

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red