Main Menu

Inner Fender Splash Shield Assembly

Started by Gary AAR, November 16, 2022, 07:57:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Looking to install the inner fender splash shields on my 1970 Cuda, and I'm unsure of the correct assembly direction.  The drivers side shield has to install from the tire side of the inner fender, as opposed to the engine side of the inner fender.  But it appears the passenger side shield could install from either the tire side or engine side of the inner fender, depending which way you orient the spring clips.  Which direction is correct?  From the way the spring clips were installed on my original shield, it appears mine was originally installed from the engine side of the inner fender.  Is this correct?  See picture below of the part in question.
Thanks for the help.

anlauto

The passenger side is always installed from the engine compartment side  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

Interesting, and odd. Seems like it would be the same, and function better installed from the tire side. Mopar!  :dunno:

Quote from: anlauto on November 16, 2022, 09:32:04 AM
The passenger side is always installed from the engine compartment side  :alan2cents:

Burdar

My rational is that the DS has the distribution block and all the brake lines.  You aren't going to have your hands down there on the regular basis.  The PS is your access to the oil filter on a small block.  You'll tear your hands up on those clips if the clips were pointing inward.

Gary AAR

Thanks for the replies.  Does anyone know what the hole and slit were for in the splash shield?  See picture of the original splash shield.  The reproduction shield from Detroit Muscle Technologies doesn't have the hole/slit.
Thanks.

anlauto

Some brake lines go over the frame rail, some go under. The hole/slit is for cars with the over frame rail brake line....

Maybe the guy who installed them on the assembly line was standing on the driver's side of the car :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration