Main Menu

Inner fender strut

Started by fireguyfire, October 03, 2019, 02:14:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I spent a couple of hours today removing the factory undercoating from the inner fenders on my 73 challenger.
I've found a few signs that indicate the front may have been tweaked at some point, such as a couple of spot welds popped free from the inner fender where it meets the shock area.
I wanted to confirm that the show of the inner fender strut is correct; it has a bend in it towards the front but it does appear to be a factory bend.

Skid Row

Jocigar

As a suggestion, learning from pitfalls.. take some frame rail measurements if you suspect any damage so you can have it corrected from the start and while its still on its suspension.

fireguyfire

Any suggestions on where to take the diagonal measurements from to assure she's square?

JS29

One place to start is at the fender bolt holes, an X pattern center to center, front to opposite corner. under the car there are holes in the rails, cross measure to the cross-member holes. the rear frame holes to front as well.    they should be with in 1/8 of etch other.  :alan2cents:

Jocigar

Found this thread with a quick search;

https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/e-body-frame-diagrams/4768/msg67465#msg67465

Check for mirrored dimensions as mentioned, make your own sketch and enter measurements as you go.

Roseville has the inner fender brace if you need to replace.

Chryco Psycho

I know you want to keep it factory but there are stronger braces available for that & it is not seen

70 Challenger Lover

That is totally correct. I even replaced inner panels recently on my RT and the new braces were bent just like yours

70 Challenger Lover

Hard to see in this photo but if you zoom it you can make out the bend. This is a brand new one and it matches all the original ones I've even seen.

rhamson

Trying to get it just right could be daunting to say the least. Mine looked much like yours. I put the older version of US Cartools upper support right under the stock member. It really stiffens it up.

YellowThumper

If you measure to confirm square. Just get yourself a plumb Bob and mark spots on the floor to measure to. Waaay easier and more correct.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

7E-Bodies

I saw an intriguing YouTube video once that showed aftermarket braces compared to stock. They were in a lab-like setting, seemed very professional. They had the fenders off with a long beam across the inner fender walls and were measuring unibody flex under engine torque with stock braces versus aftermarket and the difference was astounding. I've searched and can't seem to find that video. Can anyone recall it?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

fireguyfire

Good suggestion on the plumb bob

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.