Main Menu

Installing belt molding

Started by nsmall, January 16, 2018, 10:49:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Kind of embarrassed to ask this one but I think I had all of the clips on backwards so it was really a struggle.

I'm assuming picture number one is the correct way to install the belt clips?

I'm paranoid of wrecking the paint job so should I put a layer of painters tape down on both sides of the belt trim?

Lastly I'm assuming I just got to give it a good whack with my hand in order to get the belt trim down? 

Should I start on the end of the door where the door handle is and work my way down?

Thanks

HEMICUDA

Picture #1 is the winner. 

I lay the trim over the clips and make sure the "bow" where it curves up is laying correctly and touching the top of the clip. If not, hand bend it and test fit until it is.  Usually only an issue when using the reproduction trim.  Line it up with the contour of the front edge of the door, tap it down with the palm of your hand.  The trim doesn't go all the way to the back edge of the door, there will be a small gap.  If you screw up and it's to far one way or the other, you can tap the end of the trim, it'll move.

HEMICUDA

One other thing, the stud on the clip at the rear of the trim has a thin half nut and the threaded stud doesn't stick out any farther than the width of the nut.  If the stud is to long, it will gouge the top of the quarter end seal when you close the door.  Figured that out 30 years ago.

realn96

:banana:
Funny ill be installing mine today! Thanks Mike! glad I seen this first!

Rich G.

Is there a company you recommend for aftermarket trim and clips that actually fit. Don't remember who I got mine from but I barely got half of them to snap on!

realn96

Quote from: Rich G. on January 19, 2018, 06:46:51 PM
Is there a company you recommend for aftermarket trim and clips that actually fit. Don't remember who I got mine from but I barely got half of them to snap on!

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/plymouth/barracuda/parts/mn1472.html
http://www.classicindustries.c%20om/search/?q=MN1473
for some reason the hardware isn't showing up.  :dunno:

nsmall

I'm going to try 521 restorations.

I would have used Dave but I already bought these a long time ago.