Main Menu

Belt molding

Started by tparker, June 22, 2020, 11:18:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I'm about to resource to some crazy fabrications if I don't figure out any better. The clips for the door belt moldings (the trim on top of the doors) arn't made any more and about 8 years ago I couldn't figure out how to remove them so I ended up damaging almost all of them. And my luck, they don't make them. I found similar ones and generic clips like the vinyl top trim clips, but the not the right size. The trim is 1" wide and the hole is 1/4. I can find one or the other but not both in either clip.

So, what do others do? Any tricks or tips? My option is to cutout some sheetmetal squares and attach some sort of screw (maybe the vinyl top clip) to it. Any better ideas?

Thanks
Tom

cudamadd

Tom is this for a challenger ?

tparker

Ha, sorry. I guess this would be important. Yeah. 1970 challenger. Apparently Cuda's and 1971 and later are different from my understanding

Burdar

Have you tried R/T Specialties?  He might know of a clip that will work even if the correct part isn't available.

autoxcuda

Quote from: tparker on June 23, 2020, 10:02:55 AM
Ha, sorry. I guess this would be important. Yeah. 1970 challenger. Apparently Cuda's and 1971 and later are different from my understanding

1971 Challengers had that molding as optional. The clips are the same.

You need to find a universal type clip and modify some to work. I know a shop that had to put some on without OE clips. He used other universal style clips.

They sell universal molding clips that list a range of trim widths. Either push-on or screw-on. OE was push-in I'm the middle ones and screw in on the front and rear one.

Like these for the middle ones. The molding width is around 7/8":

https://www.althafastener.com/Ford-GM-Mopar-universal-clip-mastic-sealer-nut-for-34-to-1-wide-moulding-NOS-_p_457.html

Cut this down to fit the front one to around 1/2" wide:

https://www.althafastener.com/Ford-GM-Mopar-universal-clip-stainless-steel-nut-for-58-wide-moulding-NOS_p_441.html

Cut this to fit the rear one to around 7/8" wide:

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_passenger/universal-moulding-clip-kit-snap-off-style-2-1-2-wide-10-24-x-3-4-stud-10-pieces-437164.html

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

tparker

@Burdar No I haven't contacted them. That is a good idea. I'll give that a shot.

@autoxcuda For some reason I thought they did away with that clip in '70. I was looking at the universal ones but the problem is finding the right size. The trim width is 1". The trim actually uses two clips. One clip is about 7/8" and it barely fits. I think it is used on the end of the door by the mirror. I would worry these would pop off too easily if they all were 7/8. The other s shaped one can accomidate much large moldings and really digs in. I would prefer these type since they push in and you don't have to take the door apart to install.

They have similar ones that have the screws(like the vinyl top clips)  but they are not in the right size. The 1" ones all seem to have a 5/8 post versus a 1/4 bolt. Not much different, but if it doesn't fit.... I don't really want to drill the hole in the doors bigger cause as soon as I do they will reissue the right clip. LOL.

I'll probably fab something up. Ill probably use those universal nut and bolt style t clips and create a little sheet metal base for it to slip into the trim channel.  Just checking before I went through the trouble. Will post pics when I'm done

Thanks
Tom 

tparker

Just incase this is useful to someone else. These are the two clips and you get an idea of the sizes and trim width. I wasn't clear on why there were two style clips. From a different image I saw that the non s style clips are towards the mirror. Well I just looked carefully at the trim and what happens is the channel starts to swing out of a parallel line. The S style clip won't work. That is why the other clip has two tabs and why one is bent as if to hug the side of the door. It allows it to follow the channel in the trim which contours around the front edge of the door. You can see this a little in the pic I posted. Not a huge mystery, but I didn't really look at it in detail till just now. Maybe that will help someone else.

So when you fabricate something, you have to account for this. And this is why those generic type clips won't work in the front spots.

Tom

autoxcuda

Quote from: tparker on June 23, 2020, 11:41:20 AM
@Burdar No I haven't contacted them. That is a good idea. I'll give that a shot.

@autoxcuda For some reason I thought they did away with that clip in '70. I was looking at the universal ones but the problem is finding the right size. The trim width is 1". The trim actually uses two clips. One clip is about 7/8" and it barely fits. I think it is used on the end of the door by the mirror. I would worry these would pop off too easily if they all were 7/8. The other s shaped one can accomidate much large moldings and really digs in. I would prefer these type since they push in and you don't have to take the door apart to install.

They have similar ones that have the screws(like the vinyl top clips)  but they are not in the right size. The 1" ones all seem to have a 5/8 post versus a 1/4 bolt. Not much different, but if it doesn't fit.... I don't really want to drill the hole in the doors bigger cause as soon as I do they will reissue the right clip. LOL.

I'll probably fab something up. Ill probably use those universal nut and bolt style t clips and create a little sheet metal base for it to slip into the trim channel.  Just checking before I went through the trouble. Will post pics when I'm done

Thanks
Tom

The clips are not as wide as the molding. There's a lip there to give them room.

There 4 different clips.
-Flat screw nut 1/2" in front (can replace with short stud),
-winged spring type 9/32" second to front,
-"S" clips (3?), and
-flat screw stud 29/32" wide screw in rear

The winged spring type puts pressure on the top of the molding so it holds in place. I did see other clips that did that function. You just need to find one that can be cut down to fit

From front to back skipping the S-clips (packed away)

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Shoooter

Try RT speciality or Jamie at mega parts.

ply64post

tparker

@Shoooter I'll give them a try

@ply64post Cool. I looked through the catalog. I didn't see exactly what I was looking for, but they have so many something should work.

xx88man

Can someone please post here how to remove these belt mouldings without damaging the moulding or the clip?
Keep yer foot in it

headejm

Not an easy job but take your time and you will get them off.

For the quarter window trim: Remove the screw that goes on the end of the door jamb. Carefully slide the trim towards the door. Should slide off. Mask under the trim if you think you need to to avoid scratching paint. If it won't slide off, the clip "wings" that push through the quarter panel need to be compressed to be removed. Use a piece of fuel line or other tubing that will slide over the wings and push them up and out of the quarter. If possible, make a tool out of metal/hard plastic that will compress the wings since rubber tubing is not fool proof.

For the door trim: Remove one screw and one nut on the ends of the trim. Once again, carefully slide the trim off the door. If it doesn't want to slide off, you will have to compress the wings on each clip, then simply lift off the trim.

To reinstall the trim, install the clips in the trim and line up the clips with the holes In the door or quarter and simply push into the holes. Replace the screws and nuts on the ends of the trim.

autoxcuda

Quote from: headejm on June 24, 2020, 01:25:51 PM
Not an easy job but take your time and you will get them off.

For the quarter window trim: Remove the screw that goes on the end of the door jamb. Carefully slide the trim towards the door. Should slide off. Mask under the trim if you think you need to to avoid scratching paint. If it won't slide off, the clip "wings" that push through the quarter panel need to be compressed to be removed. Use a piece of fuel line or other tubing that will slide over the wings and push them up and out of the quarter. If possible, make a tool out of metal/hard plastic that will compress the wings since rubber tubing is not fool proof.

For the door trim: Remove one screw and one nut on the ends of the trim. Once again, carefully slide the trim off the door. If it doesn't want to slide off, you will have to compress the wings on each clip, then simply lift off the trim.

To reinstall the trim, install the clips in the trim and line up the clips with the holes In the door or quarter and simply push into the holes. Replace the screws and nuts on the ends of the trim.

You can use a socket on an extension too.

Also two thin putty knife help. Only if you can slide them right against the clip

tparker

The hard part wasn't taking off the trim. I think I took it off fine without any damage. The problem was getting the clips out. The are springy. It looks like there is a way to do it but they didn't want to come out. I got a few out easy enough but the rest were not so willing and I ended up ripping them out. Later I found out how hard they are to find  :headbang: