Main Menu

Lower Door Hinges

Started by Rbob, November 12, 2020, 03:27:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

I believe the lower door hinges are the same hinge, Is the hinge pin supposed to be installed top down on both sides?

anlauto

YES, there should be a right and a left with only the direction of the pin being the difference. Same with the top hinges, ALL four pins should face downward in my opinion when installed correctly. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rbob

Agreed, Just a couple hammer strokes away to change it.

Thank you again!

MoparLeo

Hard to see clearly but it looks like someone did the "bushing kit" job on those hinges. Hope not...If they did they put the bushing on the wrong hinge, the body side would have gotten the bushings, if Mopar had designed them that way...which they didn't. No bushings on the lowers Ever. Brass won't last. @ driver hinges. Just flip the pin on the passenger side and don't Whack it with a hammer. It should just be tapped in after you pre lube the contact surfaces with a synthetic/dry lube. .
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

BFM_Cuda

Those are the wrong bolts for the lower hinge too. The wide washer bolts go in the top hinge.     
Not trying to nitpick, just FYI...

MoparLeo

He's (Rbob)  correct on the bolts. Also a dolop of expanding foam should be shot in the square hole of the uppers before the bolts are put in. This acts as the weather seal for the kick panel area of the hinges.

Rbob

Quote from: BFM_Cuda on December 18, 2020, 06:31:05 PM
Those are the wrong bolts for the lower hinge too. The wide washer bolts go in the top hinge.     

Ok, thanks for the bolt heads up.  I will take a look again at the hinge bolts when I get a chance.

No bushing on the lower passenger hinge though, drivers side hinge was new oem that I bought around 1980 so that one is a perfect.

MoparLeo

Page from the Service Manual

Rbob

I tried to use the old markings on the hinges and inner pillar for correct sizing but this makes sense, looked at the service manual but I could not tell, maybe I need stronger glasses.

I am thankful you pointed this out before I painted and assembled.  Thank you!

MoparLeo

Sorry but apparently the rest of the download didn't work. Recheck that post.

Rbob

Quote from: BFM_Cuda on December 18, 2020, 06:31:05 PM

I just checked the Reference Manual FWI,

It states otherwise, big washer bolts go "hinge to pillar" which is what my disassembly pics showed. 

:deadhorse:

No offense intended or taken, just sharing.