Main Menu

mismatched headlight bezels

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 12, 2021, 03:07:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Well, I discovered another problem with this car.  It turns out that the headlight bezels are mismatched.  I did some investigating and it appears that 1 is from a 70 and the other is from 71.  The LH one is the 71 and it is the one that was bolted to the car.  The RH one is the one that was loose and just sitting in place when we bought it.  Ironically, the RH fender is a 71 while the LH is a 70.  Now I need a headlight bezel.  I had a local guy get all the dents out of all of the trim pieces.  The bezels were dented up and he fixed and polished them.  The downside is that this polishes off the anodizing.  If I keep them, I need to either get them anodized or just spray them with clear.  At this point, I am pretty frustrated and might just order the repops from Roseville and move on.  I sure wish I had figured this out before I paid to have them fixed.
Anyone know where I can get a decent LH bezel?
I checked Ebay and they have lots of RH bezels, but the only LH bezel is a NOS for a ton of $.

anlauto

Take the 71 bezel, back the your local guy and have him flatten out the two little detail lines of the 71, and paint them black....no one will notice...

You're building a car for you and your son to drive and enjoy, not some trailer queen show poodle  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoMangoBoys

Thanks, but what about the differences in the inside edge where the bezels meet the grill?  I have not assembled it yet, so I don't know how it will look, but it seems like the 2 sides will look different where the bezels meet the grill???

71vert340

@GoMangoBoys. I have a 70 left headlight bezel and we can work out a deal. Sorry Alan, but there's so much difference between a 70 and 71 bezel that it will be a mess to convert the 71 bezel. The opening around the headlights is raised on a 71. I placed the 71 bezel next to the 70 grille I have and there would be  big holes between the edge grille and the inside of the bezel where the 70 bezel attaches to the 70 grille. I don't know where Copely Ohio is GoMango Boys but maybe we can do a swap or something. I only have two 71 Challengers now. See photo for big differences. I'll be in Toledo Ohio in June.
Terry

71vert340

Top view comparing the headlight bezels.
Terry

anlauto

Oh wow....I never knew there were that many differences....I've learned something new today...Thank you E-Bodies.org :worship:

So I have to ask...how the heck did nobody notice ? Specially the metal guy ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JS29

Why would anybody suggest tampering with an original 71 bezel? 71's are much rarer than a 70, and the 70 bezel is reproduced. It would seam logical that swapping or selling the 71 bezel to be in @GoMangoBoys best interest . Not to mention destroying a rare part.  ::)

anlauto

rjhjr

I have some 70 bezels here in Columbus.

anlauto

rjhjr

I have several 70 bezels here in Columbus.
Some NOS in box.
Some used but presentable.
Some fixable.
Some pairs restored by Metalbrite.
They look awesome.
https://www.facebook.com/Metalbrite-821425704668524/
https://www.daytondailynews.com/classifieds/cars/metal-brite-polishing/MYVjSLTLYB03lKdD9CCqNM/
Send me your contact info and I'll send pictures.

70 Top Banana

Who can do the anodizing that can do it like the originals?

GoMangoBoys

I did some horse-trading with Terry @71vert340 for a very nice bezel that does need a little work.  This is what is best about this group.  Thank you Terry for helping me out.
I took it to the guy who polished the first ones.  When I pick it up in a few days, I will be taking both of mine to Wagner Rustproofing in Cleveland to have them anodized.  My polishing guy says that this guy will make them look like new.  We will let you know.

anlauto

Love it when I hear these "members helping member" stories....Terry is one of the best :worship: :drinkingbud: