Main Menu

More holes in windshield pinchweld

Started by Rbob, May 21, 2020, 07:16:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

Stuck again,  getting ready to weld up some holes and found 3 on each side of the windshield pinchweld that look like they are punched from the inside.

Anybody have a clue?

7E-Bodies

I'll be following this as I'm soon to be working on that area of my 70 Challenger as well.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

70 Challenger Lover

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe someone screwed in some sort of spacer in the past during a prior windshield install. It does look like screw holes from the outside in.

jimynick

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 21, 2020, 07:57:10 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is maybe someone screwed in some sort of spacer in the past during a prior windshield install. It does look like screw holes from the outside in.
:iagree:  That's exactly what they are. Note the scallop below the main edge? That's for where the spring steel spacer screws in and is pushed when the glass is installed and it's weight comes down.  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

headejm

:alan2cents: Those holes are from the factory. They are there to properly hold and locate the rubber block that supports the windshield during installation. They are on my 1970 Challenger. I'm leaving them as-is.

Rbob

Made my day!  Thanks to everyone.   Seems they would cause a leak.  I remember rubber blocks that came with windshield tape kits, same ones used here?

headejm

The rubber blocks for the front windshield look like this.  :cheers:

Rbob

Wow!  Those should be easy enough to make if I cant find repops.

You have been a great help, thank you!

Rbob

So rather than start another thread I have holes in the apron and fenders that are odd to me, the hood cable I believe goes in the hole towards the front of the fender but these holes o the rear got me stumped:

Rbob

Found another pic, maybe the hood cable goes to rear hole?

anlauto

those holes you have circled don't belong there in my opinion
Here's where the hood pin cable gges
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

68bee

Some people drill a hole through the fender and inner apron when they take the fender off so that when they put it back on the car all they have to do to align it the way it was is put the bit back in the hole. It works for doors,hoods,trunk lid also.

Rbob

Ha, Old Bodyman trick!  Welding them up.

That should be it for "what is that hole for" questions.

Thank you agin.

Rbob