Main Menu

More Trim Dilemma on my 70 - Which is real?

Started by 7E-Bodies, April 17, 2024, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok all, I'm going to  :deadhorse:  one more time. Things just got really weird. I was led to by another member and ordered a lone piece of NOS V5F 70 Challenger fender trim (body side molding) simply to make sure that what I have and have restored to show quality is actually correct in color. (Never did I dream that a piece of NOS would ever show up in my searching) When this rather rare NOS part arrived, I was a bit taken back. It is dark green (see pic 1 and 3). A couple of years ago, I had found on Fee Bay, a 70 Fury V5F NOS fender strip piece (see pic 2), shelled out the cash and bought it. I checked with a member as to whether or not it was safe to assume that V5F would be the same color on a Plymouth Fury as it was on a Dodge Challenger and got a resounding "yes". I then set out on a tedious 6 month restoration of 6 pieces that I had obtained, mostly black and near NOS or NOS condition. After lots of work with my PPG shop, I utilized their blend and perfect match and went to work (heat gunning off the rubber/vinyl, cleaning and prepping and changing the color and reassembling). The results were stunning as is seen in my 4" long sample piece made from some scrap trim as is shown on the left of pic 1 and 2. However, this latest Challenger fender NOS V5F piece (part #3549126) is a dark green instead of the key lime color of the fury part (part #3549187). I'd love to put this behind me and get these things right for assembly, but I want them correct. I've just dug through the forum library of sales brochures and dealer pocket lists and found zero pics of trim colors available, only typed descriptions. Can anyone reply with any direct knowledge or pictures of documentation on this trim? @6bblgt @Cuda Cody@TONY ... anyone?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

If it helps, the car is 1970, F8. The fender tag and build sheet verify V5F trim. I have none of the original trim. The factory holes remain in the 6 panels.

mtull

The green Hemi Challenger Convertible presented in this video appears to have light green molding.  Pause it at 1:25 to see a closeup.  The video doesn't definitively answer your question but hopefully it will provide some value

EV2RTSE

That car was restored by Roger Gibson, I remember when it hit the magazines the writeup on it said they used NOS moldings, they made a point of saying how difficult they were to locate.

mtull

Quote from: EV2RTSE on April 17, 2024, 02:49:45 PMThat car was restored by Roger Gibson
I thought so but couldn't recall where I saw the article.

7E-Bodies

@mtull that is UNBELIEVABLY helpful as well as extremely reassuring!  :ohyeah: For now, it remains a mystery as to why the NOS piece I recently ordered from Hiltop is that dark green  :dunno:

Regardless, there is zero regret in buying it. Perhaps someone will chime in with some proof that there were two green options for moldings? As shared, I've developed a way to restore them to whatever color I'm able to use for a match. After changing the color, I put them through extreme tests of cold and hot and bending and impact, far greater than they'd ever suffer on a restored E and they pass superbly. Just saying, that extra molding wont go to waste. Thank you on all counts!  :thankyou:

7E-Bodies

I'd still love to see a sales brochure showing pictures of the trim color options!
 :fingerscrossed:

cuda hunter

@DrEamer

Don't you own a 72 version of V5F?
Perhaps you could provide some close up pictures? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

here are a couple pics of the HEMI convertible R/T pre-restoration  :yes:  the V5F mouldings look light VS dark green  :takealook:

7E-Bodies

@6bblgt I wonder if they just re-used the trim in it's faded condition on that hemi. I'd highly doubt it, but its looking fairly conclusive that the key lime color as I call it  (that I matched to the 70 Fury NOS trim piece) is the real deal. I owned another 70 U code that I think was F4 that had the light green side moldings as well, and even though it was a well hidden and indoor stored car with 28,000 miles in the following photo, I remember them being faded to a pale green/almost white. Must have been the nature of the pigment in these.
As always, a huge thank you for chiming in.

7E-Bodies

Yet another picture was sent to my by a member with an unrestored 70 L code engine car with V5F trim. His was faded to a pale green/almost white as well. Results are pretty much conclusive...

7E-Bodies

So Barry Washington really helped with this pic a while back. He went out and peeled some back (to obtain a fairly unfaded sample). I forgot I had it in some old trim files I've kept. I forgot what 70 make/model this was. Here's another photo that may help anyone researching this in the future...

7E-Bodies

A guy on facebook reached out and tried to sell me two pieces he called NOS and only wanted $1200.00 each for them. Needless to say, he didn't make the sale.

7E-Bodies

And lastly, here's one from a search engine that could be from the 70 Challenger RT 426 convertible...

cuda hunter

It appears that the C body V5F color is dark green.  Every pic I see of the C body with v5f is dark.
Does the NOS piece you have exhibit a part number?  Or was that part number on the packaging? 
I'm wondering if perhaps the NOS piece is for a C body and not an E body. 
What does the entire piece look like?  Or, which piece is it? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee