Main Menu

Rallye Wheel Trim Ring Dilemma

Started by Floyd, March 23, 2019, 10:10:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

I have a set of the Mopar 15X7 trim rings that were re-released in 2006-7.  Problem for me is that they are polished and I need brushed rings for my T/A. 

Any thoughts on the better option:

Trade for a set of brushed (assuming I can find someone willing to trade)?
Send them out to have them brushed?

Thanks!

RUNCHARGER

Brush them, anything else is going to cost more than it's worth.
Sheldon

headejm

6bblgt

these were brushed on a bare wheel (& no valve stem) bolted on a running car's rear axle - used gray scotchbrite

anlauto

I've done that several times....I used a brake lathe at my brother-in-law's shop  :dunno:    mount a rotor, then mount a rim with the trim ring :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

Looks like brushing them it is.  Those turned out very nice 6bblgt.  Looks like the right amount of brushing.  The re-released Mopar brushed rings are a bit too brushed IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-15X7-RALLYE-WHEEL-TRIM-RINGS-BRUSHED-FINISH-CUDA-CHALLENGER-GTX/264226528534?

floorit426

How true to original are the 2006-2007 repros?

JH27N0B

I thought the repro rings were pretty good.  I wish I'd bought more than one set!!
I don't know why their time on the market was so short.  I recall when they came out, people were complaining that they weren't 100% dead nuts perfect, and overpriced.  Comparing mine side by side to originals I couldn't see any difference.  But some people have sharper eyes than mine and could see that an accent line was off by .0001 mm or something I guess, and that made them terrible.  :notsure:
And $75 a piece was outrageous too.  I'd buy 10 more sets right now at that outrageous price!
So they went away quickly and we are left with crap choices for aftermarket trim rings.
Lesson learned is that when some new repro item comes on the market, don't assume it will be available indefinitely.  Some really great items have come and gone over the years, buy them while you can!  :alan2cents:

cuda dad

Quote from: Floyd on March 23, 2019, 10:10:46 AM
I have a set of the Mopar 15X7 trim rings that were re-released in 2006-7.  Problem for me is that they are polished and I need brushed rings for my T/A. 

Any thoughts on the better option:

Trade for a set of brushed (assuming I can find someone willing to trade)?
Send them out to have them brushed?

Thanks!
You say you need them to be Brushed for your T/A.  I thought 1970 was Polished and 1971 was Brushed?

6bblgt

per the broadcast sheet AARs & T/As used "brushed" "polished" trim rings with W21 "rallye wheels",
the 15" brushed trim rings were introduced 1/2 way thru Superbird production (AFAIK everything else 15" B/E-body for '70 was polished) * not sure what was on a T/A with hub cap & trim ring ??
:dunno:

I think the use of brushed trim rings was a cost cutting measure on cars they were already loosing money on & they were used on everything in '71

I edited the above after looking at a couple broadcast sheets, including my 702-SPD Challenger R/T w/W21

cuda dad

My AAR build sheet only calls out wheels (W21) not the trim rings.  I don't know about T/A's and it may also make a difference if it is dog dish or Rallye Wheels.  I for one, believe that it is entirely possible for cars to have come with either, at least on AAR's.  One Original owner that I communicated with said Polished and another said Brushed.  Then there is this http://aarta.hamtramck-historical.com/wheels/trim_rings.html  :Thud:

6bblgt

wanna bet?   :bigmoney:

the 2-digit code on LINE#4 of a broadcast sheet under "WHEEL COVER" is the last 2-digits of the 7-digit part number for the trim rings

43 = 3461043 polished 15x7.0" trim ring
22 = 3461222 brushed 15x7.0" trim ring

but they came from the factory in the trunk, anything could've been on it when it left a dealership

6Pack70

I agree totally with you.  Anything could have actually been installed once delivered to the dealerships.  My AAR is coded for chrome trim rings.  I believe all of them are.  However many unmolested original condition AARs have been documented as having brushed rings .     I collect as many vintage magazine articles as i can find, and all are wearing brushed trim rings.   Between the Trans Am cars and the Superbirds, this had been an ongoing debate for many years.   This is a set from a trunk that were never instslled on a car.  I sold these to help fund the restoration on my AAR. 

6Pack70

The camera makes the trim rings look sorta like they are the later realeased 15x2.5 rings but they are not. They are real deal 15x3 inch deep rings.  I can still remember the old library book smell of the divider paper lol.  ....yum!!!!!!!!!!         I need help lol

mccannix

Those pictured above are as nice a set of primo 3461222 true 3 inch NOS originals for 15 x 7 rim that I have seen in a while.
I hope you hit a home run with them  :handshake:

Pictured, the way a chrome 6.5 was packaged in late 70's, early 80's under same 70-71 number 3461043.