Main Menu

My poor A66 trunk lid

Started by kawahonda, August 28, 2018, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

There's two rust spots on my car. Trunk lid, and Rear "filler" panel. The trunk pan has been repaired and sealed, and it was pretty darn minor compared to the trunk lid. Wow, did the trunk lid take a corrosion beating or what?!

The goal of this post is to get a consensus of what my decision is, which is "yeah, it's time for an AMD trunk lid". While I believe it's always better to use OE panels, I think this one is too far gone. I'm usually good with patching some small bits here and there, but this trunk lid I feel would be considered "scrap" at this time.

Is it time for an AMD trunk lid? The sad part is that the top section looks GREAT, but the bottom section....holy crap.

AMD has their regular lid, and they have their "concourse" or whatever lids for 2x the cost. I want nothing but the best for this car, so I guess I should go for the concourse lid? I have no problem mounting and driving around with a black rust-free trunk lid in the near-term.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

EDL94

If it looks good closed keep it closed for now until you are ready to restore or paint.
Take the time to look for an original.

RUNCHARGER

"If it looks good closed keep it closed for now until you are ready to restore or paint.
Take the time to look for an original."

I agree totally.
Sheldon

jimynick

OR, but yourself a new one from AMD as I and many others did and worry no more. Unless you find a southern/western deck lid that's not rusted nor dented, there's not really a lot more you can do shy of extensive cutting and patch making, but the calls up to you.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

6bblgt

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 28, 2018, 07:32:36 PM
"If it looks good closed keep it closed for now until you are ready to restore or paint.

I agree totally.

:iagree: make that 3

Cuda_mark

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 28, 2018, 08:03:33 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 28, 2018, 07:32:36 PM

I agree totally.

:iagree: make that 3 4. Original used stuff is still out there

JS29

Much like the doctor from Hee-Haw used to say when the patient would tell him it hurt when they did that, well don't do that!!! Keep the lid tight, don't open A kettle of worms.  :stop:

kawahonda

Only experience with AMD thus far is a front hood moulding. Absolute perfect fit. Couldn't be better. Gave my challenger a facelift.

If you wait for the right time, classic industries has 35% off sales...and if that applies to the AMD concourse lid, I'd say it's time to pull the trigger.

Curious why the lids are so rust prone. Aside from the rear window channel, I have no rust elsewhere...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66