Main Menu

Need help diagnosing a wind whistle

Started by usraptor, June 28, 2023, 11:26:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Don't know if this is the correct forum topic to list this in but I don't see anything else that might apply. I've run out of ideas and need some help finding/fixing a wind whistle coming from my driver's door. I know this is really a long shot, but hey if you don't ask you'll never know for sure correct;  and maybe somebody else has had this issue although I realize it's highly doubtful.  Anyway, restored 1970 'Cuda.  Car was in pieces when I bought it so I can't say if this was a preexisting issue. I doubt it would make any difference but the roof drip railing and top door edge SS moldings are original and installed.  This whistle is a weird one because it is most prominent with the driver's door window rolled down and it's only audible above 35 MPH.  It sounds like it is coming from the front 1/4 area of the door.  You can still hear it with the window up, but it's not as loud.  The below is a list of what I've done trying to diagnosis what is causing it with no results:
1. Removed door panel
2 Removed vinyl vapor barrier
3 Taped over all the holes on the leading edge and the bottom of the door.
4. Checked the door seal for full contact on the body door frame. Rub marks on molding and door frame indicates that it makes full contact.
5. Driven with inside vents opened and closed.
6. Put a thick layer of tape on the front vertical door frame edge to make sure that the seal on the door is making full contact when the door is closed.
7. Driven with the door only half latched, and unlatched/open. (I held onto it and only did it for a brief period on a empty side road.)  With the door only half latched there is barely any difference in how loud the whistle is.  When the door was open, the wind whistle was pretty faint, but still audible, although only slightly. 
Okay, like I said, I know this is a long shot, however, does anybody have any possible ideas (even if they sound ridiculous) as to what is causing this wind whistle as I'm stumped and  it's driving me crazy!! :pullinghair: :pullinghair:

pschlosser

Which year and model car are we talking about?

I've had several Barracudas that had the same whistle coming from the front left fender.   Once when riding as a passenger in one of those cars, I heard the whistle on the right side, too.

I figured out it was the 1970 grill. 

The grill seems to whistle when getting up to about 35MPH.  The Barracuda's I have NOT heard the whistle are from noisier big block cars.  Maybe they were too loud to hear it.

But those 318 cars, convertible or hard top, have the whistle.

I'm not sure that's your issue, but if you've taped over all the door seams, glass edges, cat whiskers, and other openings, crawled in from the passenger side, and STILL heard the whistle, it may not be coming from the door.

Skdmark

What if you took the mirror off and taped over those holes?
The very least it eliminates a potential cause.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

DeathProofCuda

That's got to be a hell of a whistle not to get drowned out by the sound of your 440.

usraptor

DeathProofCuda, The noise of the 440 is the only thing that makes it tolerable.   :yes: :)

usraptor

1970 'Cuda.  Never thought about the grill. Maybe I'll have to try blocking part of it off to see if that has any effect. This is my second 1970 'Cuda as I factory ordered one in Oct of 1969 and that one never had a wind whistle during the 3 years I owned it. But at this point I'm willing to try anything.  Thanks for the suggestion.  :bigthumb:

Brads70

I get a whistle sometimes at the carb, usually when I let off the throttle.  :notsure:

Bullitt-

I have heard of this but never experienced.... PCV valve noise

https://youtu.be/y5FB2Xq81L0?t=218
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

dodj

I'm with skdmark...I'm thinking the mirror on your door. Maybe remove it for a test run?
Cowl seal on top of the firewall in good shape?
Are the cowl to fender shields in good shape and up tight against the inside of the fender?

Maybe someone put deer whistles on your front bumper?....lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill