Main Menu

Oversweating the Details - Differences in Floor Pan Stampings???

Started by DeathProofCuda, March 04, 2022, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

Maybe this has been discussed before, but I did a quick search online and did not come up with anything.

Today I was moving forward with preparations to repair my driver's side floor pan.  At the moment, I'm using an older patch panel to figure out how I want to make my cuts, but I also have an AMD pan that I planned to actually use for the repairs.  While trying to fit the older patch panel in place, I noticed that I couldn't get it to sit just right.  Then I finally realized it was because the hole and bead rolled section on the floor of the pan did not match my original.  I then checked the AMD pan and figured out that it also doesn't match.

Am I the only one that hasn't noticed this before?  I'm going to try to upload some pics to show what I mean.

DeathProofCuda

Here is a photo that I pulled of the internet from an article on floor pan replacements.  Car is a 70 AAR.  Notice how there are 6 bead rolls in the bottom section of the floor and only the center two bead rolls connect to the hole.

DeathProofCuda

Here's a photo from the same article showing the replacement pan.  The pan has 5 bead rolls and all of them connect to the stamped depression around the hole.

DeathProofCuda

Here's a photo of the original floor of a 70 Challenger that some may recognize.  Again, on the original floor, there are 6 bead rolls and the four outside rolls do not connect to the hole.

DeathProofCuda

Another set, original floor and the patch.  This car was a 70 Cuda built in Spring 1970.  This, plus the AAR pan above indicates this is not an early build difference.  My car was built in September 1969.

DeathProofCuda

Looks like Sherman and maybe Dynacorn make a full floor that has the correct 6 bead rolls, but it seems like they don't offer the correct stampings in patch panels, only in a full floor.

So why are the AMD panels incorrect?  Is this just a 70 only issue?  Did they decide to base their stampings on a later year design?  Seems strange to me, especially since AMD sells a 70 only floor pan.

anlauto

No, my metal guy Keith Sim used to correct that on all the cars that he did for me to make sure they were correct on both sides for the year of the car....but you're right, it's often an over looked detail...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 04, 2022, 06:21:35 PM
No, my metal guy Keith Sim used to correct that on all the cars that he did for me to make sure they were correct on both sides for the year of the car....but you're right, it's often an over looked detail...

So is it that the AMD stamping is correct for 71 and up cars, but not for 70s?

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on March 04, 2022, 06:30:26 PM

Apparently not.  I was just looking at photos from @RacerX 71 Cuda build thread and it looks like his original floors also had the 6 bead roll stamping.

RacerX

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on March 04, 2022, 06:36:47 PM
Quote from: DeathProofCuda on March 04, 2022, 06:30:26 PM

Apparently not.  I was just looking at photos from @RacerX 71 Cuda build thread and it looks like his original floors also had the 6 bead roll stamping.

My 71 cuda was built in August of 1970 and has 70 rockers and floor pan

DeathProofCuda

So what is the difference between a 70 and 71 floor?  Is it just the style of this stamping or are there other differences?

RacerX

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on March 04, 2022, 10:04:03 PM
So what is the difference between a 70 and 71 floor?  Is it just the style of this stamping or are there other differences?

The 70 floor has a vertical flange on the sides that welds to the rocker panel.   The 71-4 floor is flat, with no flange.  It
lays on a horizontal ledge stamped into the inner rocker panel and welds to that.   Probably easier to assemble on the
line than the 70 version.

I never paid too much attention to those channels stamped in the floor but will take a closer look...

EV2RTSE

It used to be that all that were available in reproduction were the later style floor pans. When I had the floors in my '70 done I really only needed one front pan but replaced them both so that they would at least match. In general a manufacturer typically will tend to reproduce the newer part over the older one as the newer one usually changed for a reason that was an improvement. 

So in the case of a 1970, a first year car we see a lot of things that were 1-year only (ok sometimes 1 1/2 year only) and now sought after for an authentic restoration, but weren't really the 'best' design - such as the big mouth brake calipers, hoods without crumple zones, etc.  They learned as they went.

Here's a car with mismatched front pans, and a picture showing the difference in the flanges.

DeathProofCuda

@EV2RTSE

Thanks for the input.  That is photo is perfect for clearly showing the difference in the pan stamping styles. :cheers:

Has anybody used the Sherman full floor pan with the correct stampings for 70?  Wondering how well it fits and how crisp the lines are.