Main Menu

plastic shaker grills

Started by 72restocuda, June 12, 2024, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

Ok, don't judge - are the plastic shaker grills that I see on eBay good, as in they don't melt and keep their shape, thanks.

71GranCoupe

I have not seen them, but I would go with the metal re-pops if it was me. I picked some up two years ago and it seems like they would be better than the plastic ones.

72restocuda

Thanks, I'm just trying to stop the flow of cash on restoration to a part that maybe only I will know what its mad out of

MoparCarGuy

I just checked eBay and see one vendor selling these plastic versions at 6 ounces each. There are no less than seven (7) ads for these from the same vendor. The ads vary in title with all using the term "raceweight" and only some using "plastic" in the title. It is not obvious in some of the ads that these are thermoplastic unless you read the full ad to see it says "thermoplastic" and 255°F melting temp.
There will likely be some buyers who miss the details referring to plastic for these shaker grilles, at least on some of the ads.

That being said, the pictures displayed with the eBay ad are of metal shaker grilles. No actual plastic grille pictures are in the ads.
That may change but the quality could be poor and these are possibly 3D-printed.
The vendor is filling a niche in an expensive parts market but we need to see the actual product and/or a review by a purchaser.