Main Menu

PPG Shop Line vs Essential for Sassy Grass Green

Started by nicka, June 03, 2021, 09:41:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

I'm currently using Shop Line primer products.  I spoke with my PPG distributor and they offer single stage Sassy Grass Green using Shop Line or Essential.

Any preference?

Rdchallenger

I used Shopline JAU SS for my paint and it laid down nice with a great shine even before wet sanding.

nicka

That looks nice.  I just downloaded the product info for JAU.  How many coats did it take you?  Reason I'm asking is because a while ago the PPG Distributor gave me a spray out card of PPG DCC Concept Acrylic Urethane and it took 6 coats.  It was over $300 a quart.  I got a quote today of $160 a quart for the Shop Line brand.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: nicka on June 03, 2021, 05:25:31 PM
That looks nice.  I just downloaded the product info for JAU.  How many coats did it take you?  Reason I'm asking is because a while ago the PPG Distributor gave me a spray out card of PPG DCC Concept Acrylic Urethane and it took 6 coats.  It was over $300 a quart.  I got a quote today of $160 a quart for the Shop Line brand.

I was going to use DCC but unfortunately it's been phased out for the most part. It honestly only took 3 medium wet coats to cover well, then did a wet 50/50 of the Shopline JAU and the Shopline Euro Clear.

Rdchallenger

It was also painted outside of that matters to you.

torredcuda

I am spraying my `76 clubcab with DCC green and it covers fine in 2-3 coats and I just sprayed the underside of my cuda hood with Tor-Red DCC and it only took two coats to cover, of course if it wasn`t just underneath I would add another coat or two for wet sanding/buffing. Expensive - yes, the Tor-Red listed at $275 for a quart but luckily I`ve been doing business with my paint supplier for a long time so he discounted it as much as he could to just over $200. My limited experience with lower lines is they usually take more coats due to more binders/less solids so end up not a lot cheaper in the long run.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

nicka

I picked up a quart of JAU and sprayed the inside of the cowl and it turned out nice.  The issue I have is I have JTX products, aka etch, primer, sealer that don't match up with the JAU brand.
Due to the cost of everything going up,  I prefer to use up the jtx products but not sure if I should use the JTX topcoat. Has anyone used both JTX and JAU products and how big of a difference?