Main Menu

PPG vs SPI

Started by Gary, January 18, 2018, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Great info guys!!!   :clapping:

82firebird

I know I am a little late to this party, but here is another strong vote for SPI. Don't let their prices fool you... their products are fantastic, especially Epoxy and Universal Clear. High-solids and shines like nothing else. Barry at SPI is prenominal when it comes to answering questions and truly backs his products. I can't say enough about these guys. SPI epoxy, slicksand, ProSpray Base and 6 coats of SPI Universal Clear.

Quote from: Jim AAR on January 18, 2018, 11:12:25 PM
Quote from: 73440 on January 18, 2018, 06:52:11 PM
'' forcing out proven solvents and lead.''
That is like what they did to flooring adhesives , been trying to scrape 58 year old adhesive off my house concrete floor by hand and it just laughs at ya, then the smallest piece will peel off. Ugh.
I can't talk about paint , I am still at the spray bomb knowledge phase, but I am trying to learn and would like to try to paint.

:iagree: Been there, done that, was it the Black Adhesive? I had that and tried everything, scraping, Acetone, you name it and finally said to hell with it gave up and just used the DriCore Sub floor system over it. Ended up with a nice warm floor with laminate over it.

@Jim AAR , here is an example of adhesive and flooring scraping . It is slow going! I like the concrete feel ,will stain one day.

7E-Bodies

Old thread, I know, but just tossing this in.Ive been taught that a lot of the flooring adhesives of 40+ years ago have asbestos. Know thy enemy.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

torredcuda

Just bought 2 quarts of Concept single stage for my `76 W100, with reducer and hardener is was almost $600.  :unbelievable:  I love PPG products but really considering an alternative like SPI, only problem being the don`t mix base colors.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

quapman

I saw this old thread had popped up and I want to add that I finally sprayed some SPI epoxy primer. It went on smooth as glass and I top coated per instructions with great results. PPG can suck it.

Since I have no SPI jobber near me, they shipped for FREE.

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 18, 2019, 08:41:26 AM
Old thread, I know, but just tossing this in.Ive been taught that a lot of the flooring adhesives of 40+ years ago have asbestos. Know thy enemy.

I checked the tile itself for asbestos and it was fine , but did not check the adhesive , should probably do that , thanks .

7E-Bodies

I've never tried the SPI so I have no comparison. But I just got done shooting PPG's DP40 epoxy after re-emerging after 30 years without doing paint or body work and am nothing short of amazed. I was a bit shocked at the $400/gallon with the 401 activator, but so far, I'm very pleased and the coverage is impressive. I'm thinking my gallon will go a long way. Just my  :alan2cents:
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green