Main Menu

Rear Bumper bracket

Started by Rdchallenger, July 31, 2020, 12:50:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Will the 70-72 Challenger rear bumper brackets work on a '73 bumper? And if not, why? Also how much would I need to shorten up the '73 brackets to bring them in to '72 specs if having to use my current brackets?

Burdar

73 is a one year only bracket.  They look nothing like the 70-72 brackets.  It would be easier to get the correct ones.  The mounting hole locations changed over the years.  The 73 bumpers will have extra holes that you could fill with some extra bumper bolts.

Burdar

73 has a thick reinforcement plate behind the bumper that the brackets mount to.  In order to use the 70-72 brackets, you'll probably have to do away with that reinforcement.  This picture shows the difference in the brackets.  The 70-72 bracket is just a thick flat piece of metal that's bent into shape.  The 73 piece is "boxed" and made from a thinner material.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Burdar on July 31, 2020, 01:19:53 PM
73 has a thick reinforcement plate behind the bumper that the brackets mount to.  In order to use the 70-72 brackets, you'll probably have to do away with that reinforcement.  This picture shows the difference in the brackets.  The 70-72 bracket is just a thick flat piece of metal that's bent into shape.  The 73 piece is "boxed" and made from a thinner material.

Is the reinforcement welded into the bumper? The reason I ask all of this is because my bumpers are in good driver shape still so there's other places of the car that I can put money into while I'm mocking up the body.

Burdar

The reinforcement is separate from the outer bumper.  The reinforcement is just sandwiched between the outer chrome bumper and the bumper brackets.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Burdar on July 31, 2020, 01:37:16 PM
The reinforcement is separate from the outer bumper.  The reinforcement is just sandwiched between the outer chrome bumper and the bumper brackets.

Awesome! So just remove that, get the other brackets and fill the holes!

Burdar

I can't guarantee that the holes will line up to the older brackets.  Someone who has done the swap need to confirm.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Burdar on July 31, 2020, 01:58:33 PM
I can't guarantee that the holes will line up to the older brackets.  Someone who has done the swap need to confirm.

If it comes down to it I could always drill though for fitment... then get a correct bumper when it's finally time to put it on the road. 🤷🏻‍♂️