Main Menu

70 Challenger Rear Bezels - Rechroming Feedback

Started by Banana, June 16, 2021, 05:13:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

The repop rear light bezels are just not satisfactory (at least the ones I purchased and have seen - maybe there are better repops).  My original bezels are very badly pitted, and I don't think any chrome shop would touch them. Looking for feedback on:

- Anyone found a chrome shop that has done an amazing job on their bezels?
- What was the level of pitting on yours that the shop was able to repair?
- other options or information?

Thanks

anlauto

You would want to forget about yours, and buy the absolute best originals you can find. Then send them out to be re-chromed. Anytime a chrome shop has to fix pits in the metal, not only will it cost a fortune, but after several polishing rounds you're going to lose the sharpness details of all the lines.

I've bought at least a half dozen sets of bezels from PG Classics, with no issues. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I had some restored years ago, and like Alan said you need to find the best ones you can to start with.  The guy I had restore mine warned me that at some point they would form pits again.  So far so good though I suppose I should go inspect mine, it's been a while since I looked at them close.
I used Special Ts, and that was a number of years ago so I don't recall the cost, and even if I did it would be irrelevant now as the cost of chroming has skyrocketed since then I'm sure.  I heard Bill had a heart attack a while back so I am not sure what the status of Special Ts is now either.

1 Wild R/T

There was a guy back around 2003-04 making & selling bezels that were CNC machined from solid aluminum... Unfortunately I hear he passed away & nobody took up the torch...

With todays technology scanning a set of original bezels wouldn't be too difficult....

Banana

Thanks guys.

Yes, I heard the CNC units were amazing.....

Back to Chrome Shops, any other shops (on top of Special T's) that have successfully rechromed slightly pitted bezels that you have had done?
Appreciate it