Main Menu

rear dutchman panel to trunk floor height measurements 71 cuda

Started by 72restocuda, August 24, 2023, 12:20:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

Finally reassembling the car - only thing that was left after cutting away the rust left is the original rear frame rails and the panels that hold up the rear dutchman panel - also no rear inner wheelwells. So the height from the center by the brace to the trunk floor panel would help me set the height.  Even though I built a frame jig I didn't take this measurement before disassembly, thanks

72restocuda

Any measurement would help, the center height, the height of the trunk hinge area, when I'm trying to hang my quarter panels they seem to be 3/4 too high, any help please

71GranCoupe

Is there is any way of getting a photo of the area you need some measurements would be beneficial for us to attempt to get the distances. I have a general idea of what you are looking for, but still not completely sure of the EXACT point a and point b.  :alan2cents:

72restocuda

I will take a pic of the needed area to measure tonight, the center support of the dutchman panel at the trunk lip

72restocuda

Ok here is a photo of the area I'm looking for a consensus of measurements - its from the center dutchman support to the trunk floor - mine comes in at 16 1/4" thanks.
The problem I'm having in is installing my quarter panels - they sit about 3/4 too high to meet up with the  rear tail panel - for reference the car is on a Frame jig using the datum line diagram

72restocuda

Sorry I keep replying to my own post but the reason I'm putting this up is that I have to raise up the rear crossmember almost an inch to have the rear tail panel meet the trunk side supports.  the quarters are new full AMD quarters the floor and dutchman panel also new - the Frame rails are original

B5fourspeed

Can you take a picture from the rear looking at the tail panel and the quarter panels?Something is definitely not right

72restocuda

here is a picture of my problem.  I built the frame jig based on the datum line information found on this site - I took the frame rails off, replaced inner and outer rocker panels - put the front of the Frame rails back in with the front of the frame rail at 6" relative to a baseline, and the rear flat part of the frame rail at 15 7/16 relative to the same line.  but I still have to raise the rear frame rails at least an inch to allow the rear panel to meet where it is supposed to.  I've included the datum and the pics of my frame jig that I had to use some nylon spacers to raise up to the rear floor pan.

72restocuda

I pushed up the rear crossmember to 17" and it still seems 1/2" too low. I've seen Datum line diagrams for 1970 challengers that have the rear at 17 7/16 or so.  It seems weird that the 2 would be different considering the rear half is identical in construction.  Is there a misprint in the 1970 cuda datum line drawing at the "D" position. Any ideas?

RJChallenger

The way I see it, is if you set at 15 7/16 and nothing lines up close. Then the number might be wrong. If you raise to 17 7/16 and every thing stars to line then, the number might be wrong. Can you leave it at 15 7/16 and drop everything, trunk floor quarters to meet the frame rails? if not the number might be wrong. What you have already done looks really good. I myself just finished installing both rear frame rails, trunk floor, both floor extensions and inner wheel wells. It was fun and a little challenging to line everything up. Cheat a little here and there. Move it to 17 7/16 and see what i looks like. good luck with the rest of the build.

72restocuda

Thanks, here is a 1973 challenger datum point diagram, it shows the rear point at 17 11/16.  I will push mine up higher and see