Main Menu

Quarter Panel to Trunk Floor Extension

Started by nicka, January 31, 2024, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Do I trim the excess off the trunk floor extension? These are both new panels on a 71 Barracuda.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

7E-Bodies

If that's an AMD quarter, I had the same issue on both sides and I'm talking an inch short. Really pissed me off. Being fairly efficient at adding/stitching in material, I made a precise stencil out of poster board material and cut an exact piece of identical gauge material, shaped it, and welded it on, then grinded the weld down to invisible. I just didn't want to cut that much off of the trunk floor extension.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

jimynick

If the outer 1/4 and extension are fully engaged and clamped tight, then what ever's sticking out is superfluous. Use an awl or whatever and scribe the edge, cut it off, drill the 1/4 for spot welds and put it together. This is all predicated upon having a good fit in all the other areas, of course.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nicka

Decided to order wheel lip mouldings and will check fitment.

soundcontrol

Mine was good in that area, also AMD parts, Challenger 70, I glued the whole wheel opening and the lower connection the trunk extension, and welded the quarter in other places. Had other fitment issues with it though, had to cut a chunk out of the trunk extension to make it fit vertically.

jimynick

Jesus!! You might have my vicegrip collection overwhelmed! LOL  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

CudaA39

I'm going through a quarter panel swap for my 71 now.  My problem was the opposite, the lower quarter patch for the driver side was way off where the valence seam was.  Had to move it myself.  Then on the inner fender, the patch hung way over the extension.  To answer your question, I'd just grind the quarter back slightly.  If you're using wheel arc trim, it may hide it though.  Good luck!
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U