Main Menu

Paint color identification, 1973 Barracuda

Started by Matt13, April 04, 2020, 06:33:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

Wondering if you guys think this looks like the proper color to be Panther Pink/Moulin Rouge. It's everywhere on the car underneath this blue/green paint job. This pic is underneath the door sill plates. They obviously weren't taken off for the quicky paint job.

anlauto

Well that does look like the correct colour for FM3 so it makes the story much more interesting :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Matt13

The more I get into the car, the more I see this pink color in hard to reach places, like the inner fender portion that you can see when you open the doors and look through towards the fenders. It's always the layer closest to the bare metal, so it was either pink from the factory or someone did a complete paint job at some point going to bare metal and taking off the fenders, etc. to paint. Weird for a '73.

anlauto

Have you found any pink overspray on parts that shouldn't have overspray, like splash shields or like this bracket shown in the picture?  How about under the rear parcel shelf ? What does the paint look like there ?

You could very well have an really rare car on your hands  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Matt13

Quote from: anlauto on April 04, 2020, 06:54:55 PM
Have you found any pink overspray on parts that shouldn't have overspray, like splash shields or like this bracket shown in the picture?  How about under the rear parcel shelf ? What does the paint look like there ?

You could very well have an really rare car on your hands  :thinking:
Under the package tray will be easy to check. I do have the backseat out but didn't see any paint there. I'll look again. No overspray that I've noticed anywhere yet. Most of the really dark, strong pink I've found is in places where gaskets, plates etc. were not removed for this blue/green paint job. Now if I can just find a build sheet! It could very well be in one of the front seats, but I have no idea how to remove the upholstery to look.

anlauto

The build sheet would just be in the exposed springs of the seats, it wouldn't be "under the upholstery" thank heavens..

I think under the parcel shelf will say a lot, be sure to post some pictures when you get to that point. :wowzers: :popcorn:

Matt13

Quote from: anlauto on April 04, 2020, 07:35:47 PM
The build sheet would just be in the exposed springs of the seats, it wouldn't be "under the upholstery" thank heavens..

I think under the parcel shelf will say a lot, be sure to post some pictures when you get to that point. :wowzers: :popcorn:
Well, no build sheet under the seats in the springs, so I'm SOL there. Tried to lift up the parcel shelf but it seems to be attached with adhesive. Is that normal?

SgtSuperbird

Just curious, because you haven't mentioned your fender tag...Is that missing? If it isn't, what does that say?

Matt13

Quote from: SgtSuperbird on April 04, 2020, 10:42:56 PM
Just curious, because you haven't mentioned your fender tag...Is that missing? If it isn't, what does that say?
Missing

anlauto

Quote from: Matt13 on April 04, 2020, 08:32:44 PM
Quote from: anlauto on April 04, 2020, 07:35:47 PM

Well, no build sheet under the seats in the springs, so I'm SOL there. Tried to lift up the parcel shelf but it seems to be attached with adhesive. Is that normal?

No adhesive but it might have two clips like door panel clips, try feeling around on the underside close to the front edge.

EV2RTSE

They did weird things with these cars to repair them sometimes, like welding on complete fronts or backs from other cars if in a major collision. Not saying that's what happened here necessarily but something to look for if you haven't already.

Chryco Psycho

The car could have been ordered in FM3 for a few extra $$ using a 999 paint code so yes it could be original

anlauto

The story goes that the previous owner was claiming it was an original FM3 car, but had no real proof of the possibly 999 paint code.

6bblgt

Quote from: EV2RTSE on April 05, 2020, 07:54:57 AM
They did weird things with these cars to repair them sometimes, like welding on complete fronts or backs from other cars if in a major collision. Not saying that's what happened here necessarily but something to look for if you haven't already.

:iagree: since the car is short on documentation, you need to determine what part of the unibody is 1973 Plymouth E-body

got pictures of firewall, RH & LH inner fenders, footwells, rear shock access holes in trunk floor?  & some overall pics to go with the close-up detail shots you've posted