Main Menu

Rear glass installation

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 17, 2020, 11:10:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I picked up a rear glass recently that was supposedly from a 72 Challenger.  When I lay it in the opening, there is want seems to me to be a pretty big gap all the way around.  When I put some shims on the bottom edge to make it a 1/4" from the bottom, there is a 5/8" gap at the top.  This means if I center it vertically, there would be about 7/16" top and bottom.  Should there be this much gap all the way around the glass?  I just want to make sure that I got the right glass for my car.
Thanks.

anlauto

You mean the distance from the edge of the glass to the edge of the body correct ? I would guesstimate that should be somewhere around 3/8" all the way around, you need plenty of room for the trim clips. If you got a Challenger back glass they would all be the same size 1970-74 (except SE)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

3/8-7/16" sounds about right.
Sheldon

JS29

GoMangoBoys

GoMangoBoys

One follow up question is if there are supposed to be 2 small metal spacer pieces in the glass recess in the top of the dutchman panel that hold the glass up off the bottom bu the proper amount.  The attached picture is from a guy who said his cuda had these spacers.  I don't have them as I replaced the dutchman panel with a part from AMD.  Don't know if I really need them or if I can just put in some shims when installing the glass.
Thanks.

anlauto

You don't need them, in fact my glass guy refuses to use them he doesn't like glass rubbing on metal. His theory is that they were only put there to hold the glass in place while the butyl cured fully. He uses rubber blocks.
If you're worried, you can use rubber blocks.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

he shims are rubber blocks, About 3/8", to keep the glass from settling to the bottom A glass shop should have them.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I cut my own. You can use any rubber or even silicone. I don't think the original metal ones against the glass is a good idea either.
Sheldon

jimynick

Mine, on my 74 Challenger, were metal and were about 1/4" high. With the advent of urethane sealants for glass installation, having the glass touch them should not be an issue as they'll both be locked into the urethane and they're not going anywhere accordingly. If you're still feeling hinky; as mentioned, just cut something soft (we used to use an old 3M squeegee) and set the glass on it instead.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"