Main Menu

1970 Cuda hardtop door window glass installation (seeking a video)

Started by MoparKingz, September 28, 2022, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparKingz

I am in the process of trying to install these curved door windows in my 1970 Lemon Twist Cuda hardtop. A few years ago, I took a stab at it and one shattered in my hands causing me to fall backwards off my roller chair and hitting my head on the door jamb knocking me out cold until the neighbor found me lying in a pool of glass. I have read about every step-by-step post and do have the manual but they ALL sure leave out a lot of steps that I feel are important. I am just looking to see if anyone knows of a video that was created on doing this? I read that some of you feel this was the most joyous time in your life putting the windows in, but I can assure you it has not been too joyous for me. I have really enjoyed putting this baby back together and ran into many roadblocks along the way but this one has been for the past several years. It is all drivable except for when a rainstorm pops up! Not Good!!! Any video would be great.
Also, there are the bump stops with rubber on them that are adjustable as well as one with felt like cat whiskers on them. These are in pretty bad shape. Any ideas of how to restore them? I have never seen reproductions of these. The metal is good, just the rubber and felt are shot!  Thank you

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Door glass is pretty simple...I put everything in the door first except the up stops and guides and the front vertical track. That front track goes on the glass, then the glass goes in the door....Sorry, no videos :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparKingz

Thank you for the pics and info. about the bump stops from DMT and the velcro trick. Much appreciated! :unitedstates:

MoparKingz

headejm

Sorry, no video but the Service Manual has a lot of good information on installing the glass. You can find the Service Manual and other great information in our Resources section.  :cheers:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/service-manuals-parts-catalogs-tsb/

anlauto

71vert340

@MoparKingz . Is there someone with experience installing e-body glass within a couple hour drive that could maybe help you.? That would be the best way if you are anxious about it by yourself. Several years ago, my driver's door glass chipped and I made an insurance claim. My insurance company insisted a shop do it. I took my car in and the young installer didn't know how to do it. I ended up putting my own glass in while he watched and then he had to charge me. Do one with someone else and you will know how to do it. If I was in your part of the country, you would have my help. Best of luck.
Terry W.

MoparKingz

If there is, I do not know who that would be. Been pretty much on my own. Maybe it would be more helpful if I had a second set of hands to guide the window into place. I will try that.

750-h2

I used this Power Nation video for the installation of my door glass. I made written notes as I watched it. Installation turned out to be fairly easy. If you are not signed in with Power Nation, simply click on tab that says, "watch with commercials".  Video starts approx.at thed 10minute mark. Good Luck
https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/DM2015-19/pain-in-the-glass

MoparKingz

WOW!!! Excellent video that shows the skin of the door cut away to reveal the components and how they work. Although, the first 10 minutes of the video about some 1940's car the rest of the video is about the 1970 Challenger glass. This was very detailed and explained a lot, especially how the adjustments work the glass. This video did reveal one BIG thing that happens no matter what!!!! You always get your hands and arms cut and that definitely happened to me.

What does everyone use for a little lubrication for these plastic pieces that ride or rub on the metal guides? I used silicone spray thinking it would not damage either. The video above shows them using white lithium grease. I have that but it states it is specifically for use on metal products.

To everyone out there: Thanks for the advice. I did get both windows installed. The passenger side was first and took the longest, but I did not have to make one adjustment. The driver side, well, went in but I already had my new cat whiskers door edging on the outside edge placed. That was the first major screw up. To get it off I had to destroy it which sucked. Luckily, somehow, I had 2 new sets of these for front and rear quarters. The adjustments were all whacky though and I struggled to get it just right. Now I have to figure out the rubber Moulding that goes in up on the top around the frame that the window glass sits against when the door is closed, and the glass is all the way up. Any videos of this or advice???

MoparKingz

Some pictures of the aftermath of the door glass install:

MoparKingz

1970 Cuda door glass install, more pics

71vert340

Great job. I'm glad you got the glass in. Now, you'll be able to help the next person who asks for help/advice. And yes, my arms got cuts and bruises also.
Terry W.