Main Menu

Rear Left Frame Rail: Repair of Replace

Started by nicka, February 15, 2020, 09:26:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Ok.  I purchased the full frame rail from AMD and looking at the shipment Packing List, it mentions 70-74.  So guessing after '71 that they added the bolt hole?

JS29

Dmod1974

From all of the earlier year pics I've seen, yes.  I believe 1972 was the year that the seat belt bolting point changed.

The earlier ones also do not have the large hole in the rear seat back floor for the seat belt bolt to pass through either...  You could always grind the nut welds off and plug weld the hole, or leave it alone entirely.  I think that flange for that nut was there on all years.  I'm not certain though, but you obviously have the old rail to compare it to!

nicka

Since mine doesn't have the bolt hole, thinking about cutting and plug welding shut.  I'm guessing this is what other '70 and '71 owners that have had this issue before have done.

nicka

Not sure what this piece is used for?  I noticed it didn't come with the new AMD rear frame rail.

Skid Row

JS29

nicka

Thanks.  I went ahead and removed the bracket from the bad left side and welded it to the new amd frame rail.

jimynick

Here's yet another vote to replace the rail, and ask yourself, if the spots I can see are this rotted, how can the rest of it not be far behind? And then put a new one in and have done along with peace of mind, that next year, the part you didn't replace will start showing perforation.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"