Main Menu

Rear Valance Brackets

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, July 18, 2020, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Are these rear valance Challenger brackets used on the non performance valance without the exhaust cut outs? I always assumed they were but as I was mocking up the metal this morning, I realized my valance has no holes for the bracket screws. It's an original valance.

It seems without the cutouts, the valance is a lot more sturdy and probably wouldn't need the added bracing from the brackets. I could drill the holes and add them but why if they aren't really needed?

anlauto

Those are used on both valances in 1970 and early 71 only. Your rear valance might be a later model ???

Safe to assume your valance doesn't have the 71-74 center support type bracket ???
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

It does have the center support but no holes whatsoever for where the support brackets would normally attach. When I hold the center support to the cross beam, the valance seems quite sturdy so I was guessing these extra brackets were only used on the versions with exhaust cut outs. That would make sense since the cut outs make the valance more flimsy.  I can add the holes easy enough though.

anlauto

They used either the center bracket or the two brackets you pictured. NOT BOTH, the valance with the center bracket is NOT a 1970 piece  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Ok, that makes sense. I guess it never hurts to have a pair of brackets in case I ever switch to the cut out style valance.