Main Menu

Rear valance install on '72 Cuda

Started by Mrbill426, March 04, 2022, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am temporally installing a new valance (bought years ago) on our '72 Cuda in order to align the exhaust tips.  Besides being at initially tighter between the the tops of the rear lower quarters than at the bottom, there are a couple of what appear to be bolt holes at the very bottom center part of the valance that I have nothing to secure fasteners to  :huh:,  Unless I lost some brackets in the almost 10 years since I took it apart, the only brackets are too small ones up top that secure it to the cross member.    Am I missing something? :clueless:

As for the uneven fit at the quarters am I safe to assume I should be able to "pull" it together at the bottom when ready to bolt up permanently?  What should the gap be between the valance and lower quarters or does it vary?

Thanks!

Mrbill426

anlauto

All the valances have the holes along the bottom, but they were only used in 1970  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

Mine is a 70 and has those brackets.  IIRC, they sit just inboard of the exhaust tips.

Looks like the AMD website shows one rear valence for 70 Cudas with dual exhaust, a different one for 71-72, and yet another for 73-74.  Anybody know what the differences are?  Maybe to accommodate the changes in bumpers through the years???

Mrbill426

@anlauto well that makes me feel better, thanks for that!  Do they usually take some tweaking to fit right?  Do the gaps vary?

Quote from: anlauto on March 04, 2022, 10:05:49 AM
All the valances have the holes along the bottom, but they were only used in 1970  :alan2cents:

anlauto

YES and YES, especially if the quarters have ever been replaced :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Yes I spent a lot of time on getting the quarters, trunk extensions and valance to fit well. In my case the valence was NOS and the quarters and extensions repros so most of the adjustment I did on the quarters.

Mrbill426

Thanks for the helpful input guys  :bigthumb:
Yes, new trunk floor, trunk extensions, and quarter skins involved.  I think I have it pretty darn close though.