Main Menu

‘72-‘74 dodge letters

Started by Rdchallenger, August 05, 2022, 10:55:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

" There were no threads on my original letters."  While I believe you, there were and are on mine and it'd never been disassembled previously and I've owned it for nearly 40 years, so I don't know what to say. Mine was built in Hamtramck; is it possible that not every assembly plant did the same thing or used the same suppliers?
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

dodj

While I'll never say my car is representative of factory assy, and I'd never try to argue with Darren about what is 'supposed' to be on a '72-'74, I have three sets of letters, all with threads cut into them....go figure
And you're right. The middle "D" is a pita.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Burdar

Quote" There were no threads on my original letters."  While I believe you, there were and are on mine and it'd never been disassembled previously and I've owned it for nearly 40 years, so I don't know what to say. Mine was built in Hamtramck; is it possible that not every assembly plant did the same thing or used the same suppliers?

All E-bodies were built in Hamtramck except for 1970 when some were built in LA.  Anomalies exist I'm sure though.  Whether it was factory or something necessitated letter removal very early on in its life....who knows at this point.

I just had to put a battery in my daily driver 16 Dart.  We bought it at the end of 2017 with only 4k miles on it.  The battery was not the original one.  It had a Mopar battery in it and the battery blanket was gone.  For some reason a brand new car's battery was replaced with less than 4k miles on it.  Things happen.

dodj

I went and looked at my spare letters. One set has threads, one doesn't.
The ones that ended up with nuts were likely replaced after paint or something when the little pink retainers could not be found. That's my uninformed guess.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill