Main Menu

Removal of grille on 70 Challenger

Started by Mark_B, December 30, 2018, 06:11:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mark_B

Hi All,

Does anyone please know if you have to remove the front bumper to get the grille off?  Or do you remove the headlamps?  I've removed the the screws holding the grille and light surrounds, but the grille doesn't clear the bumper.  And the outer bumper bolts are difficult to get too.

I'm wanting to restore the grille, it's currently argent silver and chipped in places,  Am wanting to paint it black instead, will mask off and probably use Hammerite Smooth or anything you suggest.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

anlauto

I would say the bumper has to move outward at least....try removing the four large bumper-to-frame bolts :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Try loosening the bumper bracket to frame bolts and as Alan suggested, sliding the bumper forward. If nothing else, it will allow you to get to the outer bumper bolts for removal.
Terry

Mark_B

Thanks for your suggestions.  The bolts on the bumper to inner and outer supports are rock solid.

So it's the bolt from the frame to the inner / outer support.  I'll see if those budge.

Thanks.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

71vert340

If you end up removing the bumper with the support brackets from the car to remove grille, that's a good time to remove the bumper bolts and put on new ones. I've had to cut the bumper bolts off before from the back to replace them so I can remove the bumper easier next time.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Least chance of damaging something is to drop the valance down, pull the bumper with brackets and pull out the grille. It will be faster and the least evasive method. Use a helper wrap some rags around the bumper ends.
Sheldon

Rich G.

The grill filler panel was cut and bent on mine. Looking at about 10 grills at the Carlisle swap meet and all of them were bad. Probably trying to get it past the bumper so I agree it's worth taking the time to remove the bumper.