Main Menu

Anyone out there using 3M vinyl wraps

Started by nsmall, March 01, 2018, 10:21:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So I was planning to use some 3M vinyl wrap for my MAS front spoiler.

I was also considering using some on the lower fenders and lower quarter panels.  Any opinions about that idea?  I don't plan to wash my car with water but I'm trying to avoid paint chips down low.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VG6QYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519971116&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=3m+vinyl+wrap+clear&dpPl=1&dpID=31O7qRx74WL&ref=plSrch

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Makes sense to use clear vinyl to protect vulnerable areas on the body , Paint work is not cheap

GoodysGotaCuda

i'm interested in the lower 1/4 panels. I've seen too many clear bras turn hazy to try that one myself.

Does it just stick and shrink with a little heat?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Many people I know have done this with new Challengers & i have not seen them turn hazy if top quality film is used

71vert340

I had the 3M clear film put on my 2015 R/T in the fall of 2015. It's still clear and has taken a lot of punishment. I've got 35K miles on car. Only one rock has penetrated the clear film. That was from a truck hauling gravel on interstate at 65mph with an uncovered load. I've considered having it done to my 71 Challenger from the front tires on back, about the lower 12 inches where there's a slight body line. I was just waiting to see how it held up on my 2015.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

We had the wife's 300 done as well and it works fine. Pretty sure you can have it redone a few years down the road if there is a problem with it.
Sheldon

nsmall

I would like to do a burn out and not fear chipping the paint.  I will try my luck with the spoiler and then consider the rear quarters.  It comes off and supposedly does no harm to the clear coat.  Thanks for your input.

71vert340

I asked the same questions when installed on the 15 R/T. It can be removed and not affect the paint. It can be redone when needed. They remove the glue -like residue when they remove it. The new Challengers don't come with door sill plates so I had it installed on the sills and it's holding up fine. It can be repaired if a rock chip penetrates the film. I'm glad I got it done. As I said, I'm looking at having it done on the 71.
Terry