Main Menu

sealant between roof panel and roof "crossmember" ?

Started by Lilian, October 19, 2019, 11:45:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lilian

next week we will spot weld the new roof panel and I was wondering if there is some sealant or other product to keep away noise, mainly on the center roof reinforcement crossmember.

I remember watching a video on Ytube where the builder added something on top of this crosmember

anyone with experience on roof replacement

thanks

70 Challenger Lover

I did my roof a few months ago and I used a flexible seam sealer like I used on the other seams throughout the car. I have a panel bonding glue as well but for the roof, everyone advised against glue. The flexible sealer is still pretty solid but it should allow for tiny bits of flexing as the car moves down the road. I found the same type of seam sealer when I took the old skin off.

6Pack70

Agreed!  Use flexible seam sealer.  Absoulutely, 100% , Do Not Use Panel Bond.  As it fully cures over time, it shrinks tight.... and leaves readable lines on your brand new AMD roof skin.  Ask me how I know.  What a pain it was for my body guy to repair.

Lilian

thank you; will go and buy some flexible seam sealer,    :thankyou: :thankyou:

dodj

Would it be the same situation with the hood and its sub structure? Mine is no longer attached to each other in the middle and it makes a bit of a 'tin can' kind of noise at idle.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Challenger Lover

I think the hood would also call for a flexible seam sealer. If the bonding sealers shrink and leave witness lines then I'd definitely want the other stuff.

6Pack70

Agreed.  Panel bond is incredible stuff and works with excellent results.  However, I would never use it again through the middle of wide, smooth steel panels.   Only around edges. Live and learn.  There are a few product out there made by 3M that are just for hood bracing under the skin.  Check with your local autobody supply store.  Do not use panel bond for bonding a hood skin to the brace underneath.. unless maybe around the perimeter only. 

shawge

I used a Fusor NVH foam between the roof and cross member.  Application was very messy but the results are great.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet