Main Menu

Seam sealer question

Started by SilverFrost73, April 21, 2023, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SilverFrost73

So my 73 Cuda seems to have two different types of seam sealer. One is white and the other is black. One seems harder then the other.
So my question is, does anyone know why they used two types and will it matter if I only use 3M seam sealer?
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
Unknown

moparroy

When I sealed my Cuda I used two types - though they were similar color. Most was brush on from a quart can but in the fussy areas (roof rails and rear deck) I used a caulking gun / tube application. Need a good quality caulking gun as that stuff is thick. I did not notice a difference in hardness though I did not look for one either. What the body supply shop recommended.

jimynick

Unless you're one of the people who require re-creating brush marks in particularly coloured seam sealer, I'd say you were on the right path already with the 3M bonding kits/products. I used lots of it in my car as well as Dominion Sure Seal #214 and 224 and they all worked great. If I recall correctly the DSS#214 is a smooth bodied sealer that self levels just a bit and the 224 has a particulate in it and is stiffer. I sealed every seam there is in my car, because it was my experience that anywhere there's 2 pieces of metal together in an E body, there's the likelihood of them rotting. Good luck and seal 'er up!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

SilverFrost73

Quote from: jimynick on April 23, 2023, 06:24:59 PM
Unless you're one of the people who require re-creating brush marks in particularly coloured seam sealer, I'd say you were on the right path already with the 3M bonding kits/products. I used lots of it in my car as well as Dominion Sure Seal #214 and 224 and they all worked great. If I recall correctly the DSS#214 is a smooth bodied sealer that self levels just a bit and the 224 has a particulate in it and is stiffer. I sealed every seam there is in my car, because it was my experience that anywhere there's 2 pieces of metal together in an E body, there's the likelihood of them rotting. Good luck and seal 'er up!  :cheers:

Thank you for the advice @jimmynick  :cheers:
If prayer isn't needed to accomplish your goals then you're not setting your goals high enough!
Unknown

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
Unknown