Main Menu

Shaker hood conversion for Cuda

Started by kmiller, March 17, 2020, 02:48:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kmiller

was going to order a repop shaker hood but I already have a very nice flat hood and I'm  getting the shaker conversion kit from   Shakerhood.com

My main concern :

making sure the measurements are correct before cutting , does the kit have instructions?
what exactly does the flange tool do? compress the top and bottom panels together before the trim ring is installed?

looking for tips from any one that has done this

B5fourspeed

I have done 2 conversions with the harms Kits.You will have 30 to 40 hours in it.Topcat did one from shakerhood.com and he could walk you thru it.

anlauto

Doing the step flange in the hood will be the most difficult.
Won't be a huge money savings, but you'll definitely have the satisfaction of all your hard work paying off.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

I just made a post about this a few weeks ago. From what I got out of that is the savings isnt really there anymore as prices have come down and they have AMD stuff. On the other hand I will be filling this as i was wanting to do the conversion myself as well.

Spikedog08

Pretty sure I have seen a video of the process somewhere with a step by step procedure . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

kmiller

thanks everyone, 

I do metal work so i dont suspect that this will be too tough.

I would love to just order a repop hood but the shipping cost will be as much as the hood!

once i get the kit, I'll take photos as i begin.

Topcat

Quote from: kmiller on March 18, 2020, 11:49:43 AM
thanks everyone, 

I do metal work so i dont suspect that this will be too tough.

I would love to just order a repop hood but the shipping cost will be as much as the hood!

once i get the kit, I'll take photos as i begin.

I still have the flange tool from when I  did mine.
All my pics are gone now.

@Finoke once had a CD from Scott Harms kit.
I may have it too on CD but it's a needle in a haystack to try and re locate again.

Topcat

You're going to be putting in a lot of hours in to do it.

@4speedfish & I did it before.

Quote from: 4 speed fish
I have done 2 of the harms conversion kits.These are the same that were sold by restorick.
You will have over 40 hours of labor doing a conversion.

Measure, cut, bond trim ring recess (forget welding), spot weld on bracing.

Topcat

Found a few pics searching thru old e-mails.

I would not recommend bead blasting the center area of the hood inside or outside.
But that's just my opinion.

I was too afraid of warpage on such flimsy metal before final new bracing.

Shoooter

What is the cost of one of these kits?  Outside of labor what's the price difference between doing on of these and just buying a hood?

kmiller

hello all

finally received my conversion kit

can anybody give me some measurements before i cut into the hood ? i hate to get this complete and only to found out that when i close the hood, the hood hits the bubble

thanks

Keith

Topcat

It your front end clip in final dedicated position?

I'm trying to recall but don't hold me on this.
27.25" inches from back of hood to closest edge of flanged center hood area. (Cuda)

I would ask Scott Smith at Harms and confirm.
He was the first one to offer them and should know a lot.

kmiller