Main Menu

Clear coating over polish aluminum

Started by Shoooter, June 10, 2020, 10:30:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Has anyone used a clearcoat over polish aluminum and have it sick? I want to put something over it so I wont have to polish it or have it tarnish? I've read people use protectaclear? Isthere a clear coat that could be sprayed ? Not necessarily a spray can but out of a gun

Mrbill426

Is that polished or anodized?  I am curious too but about both.

:popcorn:

76orangewagon

7212Mopar

After polish, I clean off residue and the apply ceramic coating for painted surface. It helps to keep the shine longer and can be easily removed. Never try clear coating. Probably more difficult to remove or touch up.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Shoooter

How long does it keep the shine? Where the part is it wowonwowont see much wear so clear coating would be ideal if it would work.

Bossgold

I did it to my Alcoa truck rims years ago. You need to polish the heck out of them, then wipe them down really good before powder coat clear. It worked pretty good and lasted for a while.....on first go round....then redid them and that did not last as long. The clear leaves the rim a little dull but once on the car you can't tell. It sure beats polishing them. Also, make sure the samsonite tire monkey doesn't throw around the rims cause once it chips it will start to peel over time

Shoooter

I dont I'll powder coat them, spraying clear is a easier option. For me of that is a option.

7212Mopar

Quote from: Shoooter on June 10, 2020, 08:03:28 PM
How long does it keep the shine? Where the part is it wowonwowont see much wear so clear coating would be ideal if it would work.

I am doing it on the Mopar polished aluminum valve covers. Not a high wear area but hot. Aluminum is easy to oxidize and quickly form a layer of dull haze. The ceramic coating is similar to wax in application except it does not melt and evaporate under heat. I have not been doing this long. Two months now and just some weekend driving and it is still shinny. My YO Rallye wheels are also polished Aluminum but factory clear coated. So far holding up good with just a few scratches from normal use.

RUNCHARGER

Most coatings will chip/peel. It's hard to get clear paint to stick to a shiny surface. This is what they do with truck wheels now and it seems to last quite well. Not really an option on car wheels though.

https://www.alcoawheels.com/durabright/

Sheldon

Burdar

7212Mopar

I had been using Mothers CMX. They said you can do multiple layers to build it up. There are others like Meguairs, Turtlewax that you can pick up from auto parts store. There are other expensive brands online that I had not try. I started looking at these stuffs after I attended to SEMA shows last year where I looked at demonstrations from multiple vendors. Some I have never heard of.