Main Menu

Shaker Trim Ring fitment

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, November 18, 2019, 08:28:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Hey all, we are having a little trouble fitting the Shaker Trim Ring on my Challenger. The hood and ring are from AMD. The stud holes were opened up a little bit and this allowed the front peek to fit a little better but the back (second pic) is still wacky. Does anyone have any pics of the back of the trim ring and how it should sit on the back of the hood before we go any further correcting this or have any suggestions to address this, your expertise/help is mucho appreciated!

anlauto

All the AMD hoods come like that. They need a little body work for sure. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Yep. I have the EXACT same thing going on. How could this escape QC?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

71vert340

Looking at the photos and comparing it to my shaker setup, it appears the ring is not real close to the factory rings. The hood actually looks pretty good in the photos and compared to my hood. Unless the camera angle is making the ring look way off.
  Terry

VCODE

Quote from: 71vert340 on November 18, 2019, 11:56:25 AM
  Looking at the photos and comparing it to my shaker setup, it appears the ring is not real close to the factory rings. The hood actually looks pretty good in the photos and compared to my hood. Unless the camera angle is making the ring look way off.
  Terry

From what I know, AMD is using a Cuda trim ring. I don't think they made a Challenger correct trim ring.
Bob

71vert340

Here's a couple photos I just took for comparison.
Terry

71vert340

To be honest, I don't see how you can make that trim ring work. I'd send it back and try to find a Challenger trim ring. Snobar, Scott Smith/Harms made Challenger rings and a couple others made them. They were closer than what you have. Just my $.02
Terry

HEMICUDA

That is AMD's version of a Challenger shaker ring, it is different from their Cuda ring.  "Body work"?  Where, on the hood?  The correct way to fix your issue is to modify the aluminum ring, the hood is fine.  We've massaged and re-welded them if needed, problem is, you need the hood to fit it to.  I would anneal that area of the ring first then work the center down, get it close enough for a thin coat of body filler.  Work the filler a little more to the hood contour and you'll be good.  It's not really that difficult.  You can find youtube videos on the proper way to anneal aluminum.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I just called AMD and they stated they still have issues with the challenger shaker rings...meaning they haven't fixed it yet. Also advised it could be a Cuda ring that was incorrectly placed in the Challenger box from the factory, but I do not know how to tell.

Either way does any know of any company currently selling challenger shaker rings that fit well I can get one from?

71vert340

You might try www.shakerhood.com. Ben died a couple of years ago but I see they still have a website up and running. There was another company from the southwest that was doing them but I can't recall the name.
Terry

ScottSmith_Harms

Snobar's rings were (and still are) all Cuda rings, they did not make a different Challenger ring (or underhood brace) they sold the Cuda style only, just described it as a Challenger ring if you ordered one. The rings sold by Harms back in the day were unique to each and fit original hoods, this is why we sold so many, they were the only correct ones on the market (we quit making/selling them back when AMD came out with complete hoods over 10 years ago). I would advise either finding an original ring, or to customize an AMD ring as Mike Ross suggested.  .02

Chaos-N-Mayhem

In light of how far off my AMD one is,I think there is a market for correct ones again.well at least I would buy one from you!

71vert340

That's good to know about the rings by Snobar. I fortunately have one of the Harms Challenger shaker sets stored away just in case along with a flat hood. Thanks for the info.
Terry

Timbbuc2

My car was already painted when I got it. And just bought the trim ring and I have the same problem. Charge big money for "Reproduction# Parts and you fight all the way. Front to back is ok, sides are alittle to wide. Sand the sides to make it fit?
Get in, I'll drive

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I agree the sides were definitely tight. Now problem is the back where it does not meet the peak of the hood. It is way too high. Going to have to think about this and a good way to correct it without making it worse.