Main Menu

Springs for fiberglass T/A hood

Started by Scooter, August 11, 2022, 01:25:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Quote from: Brads70 on September 01, 2022, 11:36:36 AM
I mounted mine so it fit somewhat flush with the top of the hood. Here are some pictures of the backside?

Thanks Brad! Looks like you used smaller self locking nuts as well. The nuts that came with mine will not even fit the inside of the hood due to the radius so I'll be speccing in some new nuts as well. Can I bother you a lil' more to post some photos from the top and front?

Brads70

Hood is open for battery charger but hope this helps?

Scooter

At a glance your molding seems shorter (not as tall)than mine.  I'll get some measurements when I get home. Thanks again for the photos !

Scooter

Quote from: Brads70 on September 01, 2022, 12:09:22 PM
Hood is open for battery charger but hope this helps?

Maybe I'm not as far off as I thought, just took a few measurements... see below. Did you drill your holes at an angle or flush to the hood face? Looks like at the center where it gets thin you almost have to drill at an angle unless you grind a flat.

Did you need to bend your molding to get it to sit flush to the hood lip? Mine is not creased in the center and if you put one side flush the other side wants to pop up.

Brads70

It's been 12-13 years since I installed mine, I'm not sure. I can't remember going on an angle though? I might have dug it out some to make the nuts sit flush on the backside?  Mine came with a bend in the middle. It might not sit down exactly flush but the fasteners should suck it in. Now is the time to do what you need to so it fits nice ( before paint)
The pictures of just the trim are from my original trim. I kept it when I installed the new one.

Scooter

Quote from: Brads70 on September 01, 2022, 03:58:50 PM
It's been 12-13 years since I installed mine, I'm not sure. I can't remember going on an angle though? I might have dug it out some to make the nuts sit flush on the backside?  Mine came with a bend in the middle. It might not sit down exactly flush but the fasteners should suck it in. Now is the time to do what you need to so it fits nice ( before paint)
The pictures of just the trim are from my original trim. I kept it when I installed the new one.

Kinda torn on this one... once the holes are drilled I'm all in on the trim as I know nothing about repairing fiberglass and don't want to have to learn...lol. Going to fit it as best as I can before I sand and paint the whole schebang.

Looks like you used a different set of trim fasteners as well. Top is what came with mine... yours appears to be mounted with the bottom photo style. Might be able to get more adjustment up & down with those.