Main Menu

I think I screwed up. Save me from myself. Wheel Trim

Started by jlemler, March 30, 2018, 11:37:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

I have a 70 Cuda.  I purchased some decent wheel trim for a ridiculous price.  Since my care is a driver I could not leave well enough alone.  I had time to kill and so I thought I would get the nicks out and shine these puppies up.  I started with some 150 grit and did about 1/3 of the trim on on piece.  I worked my way up to 1200 grit.  While it is getting better it is still cloudy.  Do I keep going with finer grit or I'm I totally of base with my approach?

I also assume that the trim is aluminum am I right?
Is it anodized?  If so how do I get that finish?
Am I in over my head and should I stop and just polish put on and call it a day?
Correct me if I am wrong but all Cudas came with the wheel trim?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

Cuda Cody

Some Hemi's did not get wheels trim.  So I'm pretty sure not all Cuda's got wheel trim.

They make good reproduction wheel trim.  That might be your best option.  :notsure:

Shane Kelley

Yes it's anodized aluminum. You started with a pretty aggressive grit so the scratches are going to be a lot to deal with. But it can be done. I wouldn't use anything less than 800 to start and then 1000 followed up by 1500.  Then polish them up.  You almost need a clear of some sort to preserve them after you polish them of they will constantly keep getting dull. I also wouldn't use the heavy grit anywhere that doesn't need it. Like only the front edge that takes a beating. Just sand to good areas with the 1500 to remove the anodizing and even the finish out.     

Ns1aar

All mine are stainless steel never seen an aluminum one doesn't mean it didn't happen though

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Ns1aar on March 30, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
All mine are stainless steel never seen an aluminum one doesn't mean it didn't happen though

All ebody wheel well trim are aluminum.

anlauto

The wheel lip moldings were a standard part of the "BS" Cuda package, so you're correct in assuming that ALL 1970-1974 Cudas should have the trim with the exception of 70-71 Hemicudas and  70 AAR Cudas.

All E Body wheel lip molding were made out of aluminum only, and I don't believe any reproductions were made out of anything but aluminum :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

If they are original pieces and are in good condition, send them out to a reputable company to be restored and anodized. IMHO,  Original alluminum wheelwell  trim is better quality (Harder and darker) than reproduction Trim. AND It will fit much better !   :bigthumb:

FWIW.   Anodizing should be chemically removed. Not sanded.

jimynick

While I wouldn't argue with the premise that oem trim is best, the cost of stripping, repairing and re-anodizing will be way more than buying replacements IMHO.  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Ns1aar

Quote from: anlauto on March 30, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
The wheel lip moldings were a standard part of the "BS" Cuda package, so you're correct in assuming that ALL 1970-1974 Cudas should have the trim with the exception of 70-71 Hemicudas and  70 AAR Cudas.

All E Body wheel lip molding were made out of aluminum only, and I don't believe any reproductions were made out of anything but aluminum :alan2cents:
I guess I missed it. The OP says wheel trim I assumed he was referring to trim rings not wheel well trim