Main Menu

The Plan (Install Gas Tank)

Started by tparker, April 26, 2020, 05:01:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

The plan for this weekend was simple. Get the gas tank in. Then I will focus on the motor. I pulled the car out of the garage last weekend and cleaned up a lot of stuff. So this week's plan seemed like a simple win. Then I encountered reality.

1 I couldn't find the J Bolts.  :huh:
2 I forgot to put the tank brackets in when I put the trunk back on  :crying:
3 I will have to drill holes in my freshly painted trunk so I can weld the braces back on, thus ruining my trunk paint for the second time. :headbang:
4 The tank brackets don't really mold to the trunk. :'(
5 There is significant gap between the bracket and trunk to prevent welding.  :bricks:
6 I should replace rear shocks before putting in the tank  :thinking:
7 I should fix the trunk seam underneath the car while everything is out :dunno:
8 I should change out the fuel line since I have easy access  :D
9 I should replace the brake line now since I have easy access  :idea:

So what was supposed to be a simple weekend turned into a bit more that I was planning on. The biggest issue is welding in that trunk brace. I'm almost tempted to rivet it in place. Trying to get the the brace to mate with the bottom of the trunk to mate is going to be tricky. I tried to bend the flange up, but that doesn't really work.

On a good note, I'm about ready to take the motor down to be rebuilt as a stroker motor  :inlove:

70 Challenger Lover

Strange that your braces don't line up. Mine fit pretty easy and any areas where the flange isn't tight get lightly hammered down before final welding. I wouldn't rivet it. You will always kick yourself for not doing it right.

tparker

It was a two part pan and I don't think it was stamped right. Part of the brace is designed to go between the trunk pan and frame (or whatever that piece is). Since I put everything back together, the brace doesnt quite sit right added to fact that the pan stamp is slightly off. I just need a 3 foot c clamp that could pinch clamp it all down :drunk: Hmm... now that I think about it, I could rivet to pull the sheet metal together enough to weld it. Will think about it some more.

73chalngr

Maybe you could use some self tapping screws to suck it down Tack it in a few spots remove the screws and fill the holes ? I think I saw them do it I'm one of the car  restoration  shows .

Bullitt-

Not sure about this but if you could get them to fit why would panel adhesive not be adequate to hold the braces? ...  Opinions  :dunno:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Man that sounds like a cluster...sorry.

I as going to suggest panel bond as well...but a full tank of gas is pretty darn heavy....not something you want to have drop out on the highway if the panel bond fails :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

I've used the screw idea and it works well. You only need a few good spots all around the perimeter of the brace. Then you can take a hammer and dolly and close the gaps everywhere else, welding more if you need more. Obviously the screws get removed and holes welded in. The rivets can help. Anything it takes to clamp together for a few welds.

Bullitt-

Quote from: anlauto on April 27, 2020, 06:21:35 AM

I as going to suggest panel bond as well...but a full tank of gas is pretty darn heavy....not something you want to have drop out on the highway if the panel bond fails :o
I see your point Alan... I hadn't thought that through completely.  :crazytalk:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 27, 2020, 06:31:38 AM
Quote from: anlauto on April 27, 2020, 06:21:35 AM

I see your point Alan... I hadn't thought that through completely.  :crazytalk:

I think it's an idea....but I would think for panel bond to work properly, the surfaces would have to be super clean, bare metal etc...etc...maybe a combination of panel bond and screws or bolts ??
Could you imagine a full gas tank falling out on the highway at 65mph, with the tunes blaring, and only a rubber hose left hanging on to it ? :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration