Main Menu

Trying to remove '70 Barracuda gas tank

Started by Mopsquad, July 06, 2018, 09:13:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

should be two studs with nuts on each end reached from underneath bolting the valance to the quarter....

anlauto

Quote from: Mopsquad on July 07, 2018, 11:36:37 AM
Quote from: anlauto on July 07, 2018, 10:51:44 AM
Four screws along the top by the bumper
two screws at the very bottom in the middle
and the studs/nuts along the sides.

This what I removed

Two Phillips screws, they were the two innermost top.
Two nuts, the next two going outwards- top.  Studs remaining.
Two bolts bottom valence
Two nuts - valence to quarter - studs remain

Just want to change out this gas tank for the EFI. Lol   

If I've got all the hardware removed, I'll try wiggling it out.

The issue is the two sets of studs on different planes maybe.

Likely, try removing the studs (vice grips even)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopsquad

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 07, 2018, 11:41:26 AM
should be two studs with nuts on each end reached from underneath bolting the valance to the quarter....

Yup got those.

As suggested, I may try removing the studs with vice grips first before maneuvering the valence,

1 Wild R/T

zoo then it wiggles & isn't being held tightly at some point?

If thats the case then yeah, pull some studs...

Mopsquad

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 07, 2018, 12:15:21 PM
zoo then it wiggles & isn't being held tightly at some point?

If thats the case then yeah, pull some studs...

Right now it's just bending with no real movement.  That led me to ask the board if I was missing something.

Must be hung up on the studs.

gzig5

Is there seam sealer between the valance and the quarter lip at the outside ends?  When I had all the fasteners out, mine pretty much fell out.  If all the fasteners are loose, thats the only thing I can think of.  Mines out at the moment and there are four sheet metal screws across the top, two studs/nuts on each end, and it looks like two fasteners on the lower edge about a quarter way in that would go to brackets that my car doesn't currently have.  So 8-10 fasteners.

Mopsquad

Quote from: gzig5 on July 07, 2018, 02:04:20 PM
Is there seam sealer between the valance and the quarter lip at the outside ends?  When I had all the fasteners out, mine pretty much fell out.  If all the fasteners are loose, thats the only thing I can think of.  Mines out at the moment and there are four sheet metal screws across the top, two studs/nuts on each end, and it looks like two fasteners on the lower edge about a quarter way in that would go to brackets that my car doesn't currently have.  So 8-10 fasteners.

I'll double check the fasteners.  Hopefully it'll be under 110* soon. So I can check it out and pull it off.