Main Menu

Inner rocker "C" beam on a vert

Started by Cuda416, March 23, 2020, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda416

Looking for details of the inner structure of the rockers that show how the inner "C" beam convertible brace is attached etc.

From what I've seen, it appears that it's welded to the outer rocker top and bottom, but I've not found anything that shows that much detail.  if that's true, it seems surgery would go something like...

1. Remove outer rocker/c-channel
2. Strip rocker skin from c-channel
3. Attach c-channel to new outer rocker
4. Re-Install new rocker skin and c-channel assy.
5. Move on to next nightmare task

For those in the know, is that about right?
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

1 Wild R/T

The reinforcement channel isn't welded to the outer sheetmetal, it is only welded to the inner structure... So if your changing a quarter it's not effected... If your trying to remove the reinforcement or add the reinforcement then yes the outer sheetmetal has to be removed...

Cuda416

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 23, 2020, 12:38:33 PM
The reinforcement channel isn't welded to the outer sheetmetal, it is only welded to the inner structure... So if your changing a quarter it's not effected... If your trying to remove the reinforcement or add the reinforcement then yes the outer sheetmetal has to be removed...

Ok, looking at some pictures from this thread...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/convertible-rocker-panels/2057/

that you posted, it looks like the the inner rocker is just flat, which is the side with the "edges" of the reienforcement. Do you have something that shows those welds? Are they on the edges?

Bare with me, I'm trying to understand how goes together and comes apart before I get too far into it and mess something up.

Thanks
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant

1 Wild R/T

It's been 25 years since I dug into a vert that deep & it was a crusty donor so I'm not really sure how it was... I know it doesn't attach to the outer metal at all...  Just go slow & don't plunge a cutting wheel through multiple layers of steel..

JS29

I don't have any experience with what you are attempting to do, But @HEMICUDA  might.  :alan2cents:

larry4406

No clue if this will help or not. 

Attached are some pictures I snagged of the net years ago of some "in rocker" frame connectors that were done on an E-body hardtop.  I'm guessing these came from Moparts.com but not sure who posted them originally.

Cuda416

Quote from: larry4406 on March 25, 2020, 02:17:43 PM
No clue if this will help or not. 

Attached are some pictures I snagged of the net years ago of some "in rocker" frame connectors that were done on an E-body hardtop.  I'm guessing these came from Moparts.com but not sure who posted them originally.

Thanks, though interesting, I'm looking pictures of how the factory installed the "C" channels in the the convertibles.

-=C
U.S.M.C. SFMF
70 Barracuda Vert
69 Dart Vert
65 Valiant