Main Menu

Undercoating Rocker Panel

Started by nicka, March 05, 2022, 01:20:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

I'm at that phase of installing the outer rocker panel and was thinking whether to spray undercoating inside of it.  Not factory, but was thinking why not. Any thoughts.

Dmod1974

I wouldn't undercoat it.  Could be a fire hazard as you weld it up, and if it lifts you're trapping moisture in a bad place.

I epoxy primed mine, welded and panel bonded it in with 3M structural panel bond (I have subframe connectors too), and then sprayed Eastwood Internal Frame Coating through the length of it through the front rocker end cap area in the front wheel well.  I. Don't. Like. Rust.

nicka

moparroy

I like Dmod's plan. Mine did not need replacing - liked the Eastwood internal frame coating - and after that I did a spray of Rust Cure 3000 to creep into the seams

RacerX

This is a timely question...   I am currently in the process of replacing my rocker panels.

I was about to ask the same thing and was also considering what to put inside before welding
them together.   I like the idea of epoxy primer then spraying the inside after it is together.
That eastwood frame coating is way messy to work with but does seem to work.

Anything we do is better than what the factory did though.   The rust-prevention bath on the
assembly line didn't do much to stop rust.