Main Menu

Unique 1971 Billboard Cuda side marker lights?

Started by Cuda Cody, January 30, 2017, 02:42:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cataclysm80

Yes, some parts have multiple part numbers cast into them because the same mold was used for making the different part numbers.
In this instance, I think the vendor supplied the black ones and white ones for billboards prepainted, which made assembly easier on the line.

Here's some info from my car notes...

black was matte black, about like the rocker pinch weld black out I think
white was GW3 Sno-White
Cuda's came down the line and were painted with the side marker BEZELS installed only (No reflector or side marker lamp assy YET), and held in place by the galavanized retainers and "acorn" nuts.  When it was time for the billboard stripes to be installed on a car so designated, the retainers and nuts were removed and placed on the side. The stripe was applied, and during the application was slit to conform to the shape of the quarter panel. The second step was to push the excess stripe material through the side marker bezel hole in the quarter panel and then be trimmed on the inside. The third step was to install a NEW PAIR of PREVIOUSLY PAINTED bezels in the holes, and using the ORIGINAL RETAINERS AND NUTS, which still have BODY COLOR OVERSPRAY on them, back over the studs on the new bezels. These new bezels actually have the words "BLACK" and "WHITE" with corresponding numbers CAST into them. The final step involved the installation of the reflectors and side marker lamps. The set of bezels that came out of the car were re-shuffled back through the system and re-installed on non-billboard cars.
Most 1970 cars have reflectors with only adhesive on the back side.  The line workers simply pulled the cover off of the tape and stuck it in the bezel. This was insufficient over the course of time, and during late 1970 production, the reflectors switched to the 71 style which also have plastic tabs that pushed through holes in the bezels to properly secure them.

fc7cuda

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 24, 2017, 01:22:41 AM
Most 1970 cars have reflectors with only adhesive on the back side.  The line workers simply pulled the cover off of the tape and stuck it in the bezel. This was insufficient over the course of time, and during late 1970 production, the reflectors switched to the 71 style which also have plastic tabs that pushed through holes in the bezels to properly secure them.

@cataclysm80
I have read this elsewhere and was wondering if you also had any research regarding the standard early vs late side marker housings?  By standard I'm referring to the non-white and non-black ones.  I would assume their application evolved with this change from the stick on to the tab reflectors?

Thanks
Tom

HEMICUDA

From all the housing I seen over the years, the Black-White appeared in 71, all those had the x2 square holes in the bezels.  All 71 bezels had the holes.  I'm not sure if the square holes appeared sometime in late 70 or not.  All 70 & 71 side marker lenses were stick on, the tabs appeared on the lenses with the square holes in the bezels.  The holes in the bezel was for assistance when installing the lenses with the tabs.  The tabs on the lenses made sure the lens was installed perfectly straight and not over hang the whole where the marker light goes through.  The tabs functioned as alignment only and not intended to hold the lens in place.  Have you ever tried to remove a side marker lens once it's installed?  The tabs make it dummy proof for installation.

cataclysm80

Quote from: fc7cuda on March 24, 2017, 06:05:03 AM
I have read this elsewhere and was wondering if you also had any research regarding the standard early vs late side marker housings?  By standard I'm referring to the non-white and non-black ones.  I would assume their application evolved with this change from the stick on to the tab reflectors?

I think most of that info originally came from Bill Rolik.

The following tidbits aren't as complete as I would like, but maybe they'll be useful...
I don't recall seeing a marker bezel without the square holes.  My own 70 Cuda was built in late June, and I think it has the square holes.
The part number for the Bezel and Reflector did change during 1970 production, but Bill looked through his NOS supply of bezels and didn't find any differences on the bezels for the different part numbers.
"The change apparently did not occur in actual practice. I have had (and still have) many individual bezels, and lamp assemblies, both packaged as early and late part numbers, and out of all of that, I have only one NOS "Black/White" bezel. I do not really see any other differences in the bezels."
Bill's opinion was that the Black/White bezels were only used on Billboard cars, which was apparently about one third of all 1971 'Cudas.
With the earlier non-Black/White bezels being re-shuffled back through the system (possibly more than once if they were put on a Billboard car again), there isn't a known firm changeover date for switching to the newer Black/White casting on non-Billboard cards (IF that happened at all).
On 1971 cars, sometime around or shortly after October 1970, the rear side marker light housing (which attaches to the bezel) was changed.  The earlier version used on 1970 and early 1971 cars has a shield cast into it to help protect the light socket from getting bumped by things that might be in the trunk.  The later version does not have this protective feature.

Cudino

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 24, 2017, 01:22:41 AM
... The set of bezels that came out of the car were re-shuffled back through the system and re-installed on non-billboard cars.
@cataclysm80   Very interesting!  I never knew that, but it does makes sense.  So, would that mean some of these housings could have been painted twice (or more), or even different colors from the factory?  Just thinking about it, I wonder if these painted-and-removed housings would have just been separated for sparepart inventory, rather than run back through production and repainted?

Also, keep in mind that if 30% of the '71 Cudas got billboards, this doesn't include Barracudas or Gran Coupe models.  So the vast majority (~90%) of the '71 Barracuda/Cuda production would have received the painted housings.

- Wade

moparparts

Yes i do have pics of one of them for sure and will post next time i am in my pics

71REDCUDA

Claudia

Always learning!
Great, now I want to pull mine out to see what they have on them . . . of course I'm not going to but I am still curious!